I finale bought a new macbook pro !

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by futurejetblackowner, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Joined:
    Oct 24, 2016
    Adorama had a great for $2449 (without tax) for a 2017 15' with touchbar 512 gb 16gb ram 4gb radeonm

I could not say no to that offer and am not waiting until the fall because i can't go a whole summer without a computer especially with school starting in august for me

2. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

3. Appurushido macrumors regular

Awesome. Congrats. Keyboard will take a week to get used to, but I love it a lot. No problems with my computer. Have a 13" MB Pro w/TB.

EDIT: Also get Apple Care+ while you are at it. Since they have keyboard problems, some lemons out there, IIRC it's about a $300-700 repair bill. AC+ for $249 (edu discount) covers you for 3 years plus accidental.

4. futurejetblackowner thread starter Suspended

Do you think it's worth (might make a thread on this) because i calculated the price. let's say i have accidental damage: the cost of AC and cost of repair is around $630 and the cost of an out-of-warranty with no apple care is $750.

I just need to take care of the computer which is why I bought a case. The reason my old macbook died is because my cup broke because it was hot and i put cold juice in it which spilled everywgere; that was a freak accident. Otherwise, I take very good care of my electronics for the most part.

5. animan macrumors member

Congrats! Good luck with it.

I got one too.... 13.3" i7/16G/512G TB, should be coming in tomorrow!
    Waited for WWDC to see if any new models were going to be announed, then pulled the trigger since I really needed a MBP.

6. smirking macrumors 68000

smirking

Unless you're super rough with your computer, I don't think these need a case. They're light so they're easier to handle and I've found that they don't scratch easily either (some people would disagree). I've accidentally dropped mine onto a carpeted floor from almost 3 feet. It's fine. They're not particularly fragile.

You do have to be aware of the potential for keyboard issues though. I do believe it's not as big of an issue as some people think it is, but it's definitely a concern. Mine has had intermittent problems (that all resolved) so I know that it's not just smoke.

I'm normally not a guy who buys extended warranties and this is only the second time in 20 years that I have AppleCare, but I think it'd be wise for the MBP if you can afford it. There's simply no way to repair anything in this thing on your own.

7. animan macrumors member

I believe if you encounter the keyboard issue, you will not have to pay anything unless you have spilled something on it, or have other accidental damage. The AC will just extend the warranty to 3 years.

However, hopefully Apple will acknowledge the keyboard issue and fix for free keyboard issues on out of warranty 2016-2017 MBPs.

8. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

I was about to write something similar to what @smirking said. I don't have a 2017 MBP but I think I would get AC if I were to buy one even though I never get extended insurance usually. That's why I decided to wait for the 2018 models even though I really need one... Well that and I'm not even sure what I want to buy anymore :confused:

9. smirking macrumors 68000

smirking

A 2018 or 2019 model wouldn't change my calculation on whether I needed extended warranty or not. It's the impossible repairability of the MBP that led me to buy AppleCare. I didn't do it out of concerns that the keyboard would be a lemon. A keyboard failure would actually be a pretty low impact failure in my book. It'd be one I could live with. I would scream bloody murder and swear that I'd never buy another Mac again, but I could keep working and do what I need to do. I would just need to carry a Bluetooth keyboard around with me.

If the graphics card dies or the wireless chipset dies, I'm screwed.

10. futurejetblackowner thread starter Suspended

Yup, I desperately wanted to wait until the new models came out but I cannot go the entire summer without a computer. I spend a lot of time just sitting in bed with my computer on my lap because my phone is uncomfortable for me and I am losing my mind, having to use my family's old ass 2011 HP desktop every time I need to use an actual computer.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2018 ---
    But is this really a common occurrence?

11. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

Nop, that’s why I never buy AC. I figure the risk is quite low and I buy with a credit card that already gives me a second year. If it’s a lemon I hope for it to fail in the first 2 years.

The keyboard issues seems much more common and I don’t want the hassle of dealing with it, covered or not. Also Coffee Lake chip will be a nice upgrade. Hurry up Apple!

12. smirking, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018

smirking macrumors 68000

smirking

Well, I didn't necessarily mean that I was living in fear of specifically the graphics card or the wireless chipset dying on me. I just threw those out there because those two events have happened to me before in previous Macs around the 3 year mark. My 2012 MBP's wireless card died in year 3 and when I had a cheese grater Mac Pro, the graphics card died in year 3.

In both cases for me, the failure happened after AC would have expired anyway so there wasn't any kicking myself for not getting it, but it sure made me aware that those things happen. I'm a heavy user so the chances of something happening are a bit higher.

The thing is that the current MBP models are still pretty new. They've only been out slightly more than 1.5 years so aside from the keyboard being potentially failure prone for some people, we just don't know for sure if there are other possible quirks. It seems like the keyboard is the big one. If that's the only serious flaw of the tbMBP, I could live without AC the next time around. You can always link up or plug in an external keyboard, but for other failures you have no recourse.

Certainly as I bought the first batch of 2016's, I was flying in the dark as to what I could expect several years out so I got AC to have some peace of mind. You can often get AC at a good discount from B&H and other retailers. I think I got mine for $100 off so it was worth it to me.

Anyway regarding the keyboard, I've had stuck and non-responsive keys three separate times. They all resolved with use... like it needed some breaking in and my keyboard started working better after one year than it did in its first 12 months. If your new MBP's keyboard is still working fine after one year, I don't think you need to be paranoid. That's no way to own a computer anyway. It's a tool, not a piece of jewelry.

So congratulations! You bought a great laptop. It's such a great machine that I still call it easily the best laptop I've ever owned even though there are a number of things that I don't like about it. One of the things I wasn't expecting to like was the sound. Wow! They did some magic fine tuning the audio. I really have no idea how they managed to get such an unforgiving enclosure to play music that sounds this good!

--- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2018 ---
    I don't think the performance improvements are going to be anything dramatic from this point on. The speed difference between my mid-2102 and my 2016 tbMBP doesn't feel night and day in all things. There are some things that the 2016 totally smokes the 2012 at, but a surprising number of things that it's only a nice bump in performance in.

The only reason I moved on from my 2012 was because I really wanted a 5K monitor.