I finally bought a Playstation Plus subscription

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

My wife got me a Vita today, so I figured for two platforms worth of content, I'll give it a shot.

The amount of content I was able to download right away today is crazy! Uncharted and Gravity Rush for the Vita, my top wanted titles! And for PS3? Oh, only Assassin's Creed 3, Saints Row 3, LBP Karting, Spec Ops The Line, Jak & Daxter Trilogy, Stealth Inc....

At this rate, it will be years until I actually need a new console!

Still wondering how it can be economical for Sony to throw that many games at us for barely the price of one new retail game per year.

2. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

Welcome to the world of PS+ I keep telling people about it and nobody listens every few months they put some really good titles up, the last load of games I got for free were Spec Ops (amazing) and Mafia 2 (also pretty good).

With the PS4 not far off I hope they are going to start putting up more great game titles.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's good isn't it! My game was in Plus a while ago now, there are definite perks to taking part!

Plus has definitely been a surprise for me. If they keep this up for the PS4 then I'll continue my subscription and especially so if they keep up the good balance of classics, indie and AAA titles.

4. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

same happened to me last year when i got a free PSN plus month last year: went in thinking "meh let's try it out if it's for free", a month later i bought a 3 month subscriptions (3 months for 2) running on the store
    and then went for the full year

great for story based single player games you play like once and those games one wouldn't discover otherwise

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I love ps+ and my sub is paid up to September 2015 :D

7. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I love it when people realise just how good PS plus is. It's unbelievable.

8. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Does the "game sharing" work just like with normal games? My buddy and I both have each other's account setup on our PS3's as well, so we can always download what the other one buys. Will he be able to benefit from my Plus membership?

9. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

Yeah I believe so, you can have two consoles activated at a time.

I love the idea of ps+ but I've found myself just downloading the games and eventually deleting them, or just trying them out very quickly ^^ I think the only plus games I've finished are Deus Ex HR and DoA 5, which unfortunately went obsolete with the Ultimate release.

10. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

And now another sale where Plus members get Ghost Recon Future Soldier for €5.62.

When am I going to play all those games?? :eek:

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Did you have to post this? Must resist ....... Oh and if you buy a subsidised game - its yours/even AFTER your PSN sub ends,.

12. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

13. DaveNinja macrumors 6502

DaveNinja

My old fat PS3 died and I picked up the Last of Us bundle which has the 500gb hard drive slim PS3. Is PS+ still awesome? Are there lots of kids type games on it (like for kids 12 and under)? I remember seeing something about if you have the PS+ subscription, the games would autoupdate in the background or something? did this ever come to be?

i almost never get new games and dont have much time to play so getting a year of access to games for the price of one new game seems perfect for me.

14. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

PS+ has been awesome this year. I'm still using a Playstation 3, I haven't moved to the PS4 because the PS+ free game selection has been so solid the last few months. In February they gave us Bioshock Infinite, March brought Tomb Raider, and now they just released Batman Arkham City. Those were all games I was planning to play, and we got them for free.

It does do automatic game backups and automatic game updates. I have mine scheduled to do the updates from 3-4am, so when I turn on my unit during the day it tells me what was updated.

I find it weird now because PS+ has been so good this year, I'm hesitate to purchase any games because I'm worried it will come out on PS+ eventually. It's made me not spend money on actual games.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Same, it's put me in a position now where I'll only buy games if I really want one. But it's also the same on Steam and buying games in sales. I preordered South Park on Steam for full price because I wanted the pre-order DLC. I had no idea they'd actually sell the pre-order content as well! I could have just waited until a sale.

It's becoming a mine field!

16. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Second Son is the only game in recent years that I spent more than 25 bucks on. For everything else, it's usually either "wait for it to drop below €20 on Amazon UK" or "wait for it to hit Plus". :D

Same reason I have only bought ONE game for my PS4 so far. I'm sure games like Thief, Killzone and AC4 will hit Plus in a year or so.

17. DaveNinja macrumors 6502

DaveNinja

i picked up a "PS+ for a year" card at Target for $47.50 (using my target card) this weekend only to see today that newegg via ebay was selling the same cards for 39.99 with free shipping. oh well

18. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

Lesson to be learned, never buy games like Bioshock Infinite or Borderlands 2, just wait for Ps+... Thank you Sony for destroying the whole game industry, I'm never buying a game again!

19. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

Im waiting to see what they have for the PS4 over the next few months. Are they going to make games, like NFS or AC for example, available, or they going to go with these PS2 type games available? PS+ should have never been a requirement for the PS4 early on, because the content is very limited. I just think its absurd that you have to pay for the option to play online.

20. laudern macrumors 6502a

I honestly think sony should release a new must have online PS4 game (something like Titanfall) right at the start of the consoles life.

Massive numbers would sign up for the program. Word of mouth about sony "giving away" a high release would be brilliant free marketing + goodwill towards gamers.

And from Sonys point of view a number of people would simply continue to subscribe to PS+ out of hope of it happening again. As well as people forgetting about the PS+ and having it automatically deducted from their cards every month.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's not that simple though. They'd have to make or publish a very high end, very fun, decent and effectively a F2P shooter as a launch title. You should count yourself lucky if a launch title is good at all!

Maybe I'm biased in my love for TF2, but if they got a version of that running on the PS4 as a launch title with enhanced visuals and Steam connectivity (for items and multiplayer), that would have just been lovely.

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I can't keep up with the amount of free games I got on my Vita/PS4/PS3...its insane and I love it.

I can't believe I missed the big flash sale...oh and it looks like every PSP/PSone game is working on the Vita except the ones with legal issues...Silent Hill Origins and Pixel Junk Monsters tonight.

I'm paid up until November 2015.

Bless

23. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I have an account, but not a subscription.

Looks like there are FREE games anyways! These are free to play? Started to download Warframe....

Here's some info:

http://blog.games.com/2013/07/02/ps4-free-to-play-games-list/

I have a slow DSL connection, but just gonna download them when I'm gone...

Do I have to subscribe to Plus to play these?

24. DaveNinja macrumors 6502

DaveNinja

i dont think you need plus to play those free games. The free games you get with Plus are in a different section, i think.

I saw Puppeteer is free for PS+ in may. i'm happy about that

25. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yes, over my slow DSL connection I finally downloaded one and I can play without Plus!

According to this site:

http://gamerant.com/ps4-free-to-play-games-ps-plus/

:)

The PS4 is getting more and more to be a great value as time goes on...