I FINALLY bought my new Mac. [MBP]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TantalizedMind, Feb 21, 2008.

1. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Hey guys.

If you check my post history, I have made tons of threads asking what to buy. And after over a year of dreaming and waiting, I finally bought my MBP tonight. I went into the Apple Store looking to leave with a Black MacBook, but came out with the sexiness of the MBP.

I had the two machines side-to-side and open several apps on each laptop at the same time. The MBP opened them all noticeably faster. I was also a sucker for the aluminum, backlit keys, and larger screen. And even though I was used to the "Scrabble" keys on my girlfriend's MacBook, I think I'm in love with these indented MBP keys. It feels like an orgasm for my fingertips.

So I got the entry level MBP. You all know the specs, with a matte screen. Another reason I choose this over the MacBook. I could care less if a MBP update comes around soon, this beast satisfies me.

I also got a year of .Mac, so now I'll be rockin' out with a .mac email address. I can't wait for my future endeavors with my MBP!

2. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

congrats and enjoy! you have a truly cool and state of the art machine there... dont let all the update rumors deter you from buying a great machine...

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I got the same machine before the last major revision in the summer. It's suh-weet, isn't it? I HATE the glossy screens with a passion. I consider them a product of Microsoft. :) You really don't know how much fun a MBP is until you try ripping video using HandBrake. It is so much faster than my G4 Mac Mini was. It's also a treat if you play anything like World of Warcraft.

If you use it as a desktop (close the lid, use an external monitor), get yourself the wireless keyboard and mouse. You've got a compact desktop that you can take with you.

I would recommend getting an external hard drive ASAP. Enable Time Machine! It has already saved my butt once. 250GB is big enough, but might as well kick it up to 500GB or 1TB if you can afford it.

4. Gus! macrumors member

Gus!

First of all congratulations on your purchase, it sounds like an awsome machine hope you get the most out of it! Oh and by the way it's great you like the keys thats one thing i just can't stand on a computer, a bad keyboard. Hope you have no problems with it!

5. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

I personally like the keys on my MBP a great deal.

Best laptop keyboard I have ever had, and I have had a lot of them, as I am sure you have.

6. skiffx macrumors 6502a

7. Gus! macrumors member

Gus!

Good to know thanks for the input. Glad your enjoying it!

8. Nydator macrumors member

Congrats! I have had the same machine since July. It is fantastic.

9. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

glad to see one is not with the "waiting game" company :D

it's a great machine, and i will assure you, you will never regret buying the best Laptop there is now

congrats! ;)

10. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Congrats, I hope that you continue to love it for many years to come :).

11. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Congrats on the purchase. For your sake I'd hate to see new MBP's next week!

12. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

i assure you it wont :D

13. DataThief macrumors member

Gratz on your purchase, got mine about a couple of months ago and I love it. Not a single problem. Ditto for the Time Machine drive and the wireless keyboard and mouse.

14. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Good onya! MBPs are the best laptops on the market IMO. I got mine just before the last revision last year and had a Powerbook before that.

Wait until you take it to a cafe or somewhere, people ooh and ahh at it.. you got to love that :D

15. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Those backlit keyboards do come in more handy than you would think! Congrats!

16. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

...and suddenly the length of your post creeps me out.

17. robby818 macrumors 6502a

Congratulations! I was just at the Pasadena Apple store checking out the MBA and MBP. I've got a MBP and while i think the keyboard is good, I think I like the MBA a little better. The MBP feels a little too large for my tastes, but I am used to using a thinkPad x61s so smaller feels right to me.

i think you made the right choice in terms of MB or MBP, I had a black MB before my MBP and once you get used to LED, fluorescent LCD doesn't look as nice anymore--too blue/washed out. I wish I had LED for my desktop displays too.

18. dj420118 macrumors regular

good to hear you got .Mac....i don't know how i would survive without it

19. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

20. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

I got mine on tues and loving it so far. Mines a maxed out 15" and its is a beast.

21. senorfrog97 macrumors regular

do any of yalls emit a constant electrical whine on the right side? - put your ear to the delete key

22. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I got my new MBP today too.
    It's great! I'm loving the LED screen coming from a Core Duo MBP

23. TantalizedMind thread starter macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Thanks to everyone! I couldn't have been happier with any other laptop.

24. agojes macrumors member

Congrats on your purchase. I did the same thing yesterday. Bought the current SR MBP. However, I bought the 2.4GHz model, matte screen.
    Actually I gave up on the 12th, then the next day I inquired the MBP, couldn't get a hold of one. Finally I got the MBP on the 21st.

Slightly irrelevant: I got it on my wife's b'day date along with my triplets' b'day date (all 4 of them have the same birthday). What a good item to cap off the good day. So, I'm a happy man now:D:D:D. Do not need to anxiously wait for tuesdays to see if any update to the MBP becomes available.

Personally I like the current MBP keyboard better. Besides this MBP, I also own a 20" 2.4GHz Alu iMac. Nothing's wrong with the keyboard, just prefer this keyboard better.

Right now I'm doing the update on this machine. The internet down in Indonesia is kind of slower than what you guys have overseas, so I'm taking my time to update it. :(:(:(