I finally broke down and did it...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rower, Mar 27, 2011.

1. rower macrumors member

I am always an apple upgrader (all the versions of the phone, all but the first generation of the mba, and both the new 11 and 13", apple tv's, etc etc).

But since I only use my ipad infrequently and I didn't see any compelling spec differences, like a better screen, I decided not to upgrade.

Finally I went into the store and played with one. Darn. It is a much smaller feeling form factor. It is much nicer to handle and use. And I didn't want to think that.

So I ordered one.

Ah well. My apple stock better perform.

2. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

You seem like you've got the money, so why not?

3. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

yeah, I understand your sentiment. I never thought I'd buy an iPad until I actually was at the store drooling over it. The iPad 1 turned me off with it's thickness and sharp edges, but this iPad 2 is ridiculously awesome. It's just as light as my old kindle DX and 1000x more functional. Definitely think I've found a true replacement for the Kindle and then some!

4. rower thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, while you didn't say it, I guess that could come across as spoiled. I didn't mean it that way. but yeah, I just meant I upgrade easily but tried not to here.

Probably the real reason is I found myself in the last couple of weeks using a few programs that worked uniquely well on the ipad so now I was using it more. So I could justify it, especially by giving my original ipad to my parents.

But I use these things a lot so I feel that they get amortized easily.

But sorry to anyone if I offended, as I didn't mean to.

5. rower thread starter macrumors member

Yes! That is what I thought too. I use my kindle a lot, and strongly prefer it to the original ipad. The new ipad could give it a run for its money though as it is much smaller. The kindle though is still much more portable, as I was carrying it today in a jacket pocket. And I think I prefer non backlit screens.

But it is much closer now.

6. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

No bud, sorry if my response came off as mean. I just meant, if you've got the cash to upgrade, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't. It is a luxury thing, but if you can afford it, I say more power to ya. It is a significant upgrade to me too - I love the new form factor and the faster processor. Many people sticking with the iPad 1 are doing so because they simply have less disposable income - and if you do, I definitely think upgrading is the right choice!

7. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

The iPad 1 turned you off with it's thickness and sharp edges.........smh

8. tbobmccoy, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011

tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Compared to the Kindle DX, yeah, the iPad 1 was thick and sharp. It's why I didn't go in on the 1st gen.

@rower: the neW iPad is actually smaller in height and thickness than the Kindle DX, while being slightly wider and a fraction of an ounce heavier. It's definitely jacket pocketable. Not to tempt you further or anything... ;)

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Well if it makes you feel any better, I'm exactly like you in every way you mentioned, minus the apple stock. And it will perform. It might take the occasional dip, but overall, you're sitting on gold.

10. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Welcome to the party!!

Prior to the keynote on the iPad 2 I swore I would not be upgrading. Next thing you know I'm in line on release day for 7+ hours and getting TWO this time around, one for me, one for the wife.

So in reality CONGRATULATIONS are in order as you held out way longer than me.

11. rower thread starter macrumors member

I am using the Kindle 3, not the Dx so the ipad is still bigger - and it is the weight and thickness that are greater. But the difference is narrowing.

And I don't like the glare at times when I read books. And the lower battery life.

I wonder what the next generation kindle will be like when it comes out, as the ui isn't that great. they should give those away to their prime subscribers. I personally still prefer books, but the portability and ability to adjust fonts is really nice. One more device to keep charged though.

12. princealyy macrumors regular

I too am a kindle user, and the reason I never got an iPad was due to the size/ weight of holding it to read. That is until I used it with the Apple case, I thought it was so much nicer to read, that I got an iPad 1 now that they are reasonably priced for me.

I dont think the "people with financial means" are upgarding to something better is a fair argument, I was all set to get a XOOM, but instead ended up buying 3 iPad 1's for various people in the family.

I personally don't think the new iPad offers a lot more than what I already have, so I passed on it, and got an iPad 1 instead.

I am not saying it isn't a great product, but in my opinion there just isn't enough of an upgrade to justify the price difference.

13. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Although I told my self, I don't need one, I don't want one. I find myself queuing up on launch day. Then queueing again the day after. I finally got one. And boy I'm glad I did. Although on paper it doesn't look that much different, in reality it's a completely different device.

14. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

it happens to the best of us, we all know the sad truth. apple make wonderful products and we all buy them, if they are beneficial or worth it to us or not. See i had a first gen ipad and the only way i was getting the ipad 2 was if i could sell my old one within a reasonable price relative to the new price (and i was able to do that).

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Like you, I got sucked in

I have seen and played with an iPad 2 for days now and didnt get it b/c I didnt feel like I had to

Yet there I was the other day ordering one online.

Sigh....3-4 weeks to go :eek: