Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I finally got my 2017 13" MBP-tb, it seems really small compared to my 2011 MBA.

I bought my 2017 MBP in Portland, Or. tax free plus a 6% business discount costing me $1691, however, after messing with it for one day, regretting that maybe, I should return it and go back to Portland in November and buy the 15". What do you guys think?

I realize the screen size is the same as my MBA, but the footprint is smaller, and it seems like I'm using an 11-inch MBA, even though never having own one.

The guy at Apple did tell me I will eventually get use to it, if not, return and exchange for the 15". The cost difference would be $570. I can't seem to decide if the 15" would be travel friendly. I have seen quite a few business travelers on a 15" MBP on recent flights over the 13". I wonder if larger laptops is a trend even when traveling?

I'm traveling on a few flight with this 13" MBP-tb this week, maybe then, it will determine, if I should keep it or exchange it.

Maybe, I should have purchased both and tried them out for 2 weeks.

Suspended
May 11, 2013
Same here, coming from an original unibody 13". I love it though. Takes up less room on a crowded desk and fits in the backpack nicely too.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
You clearly value portability or you wouldn't have had a MacBook air previously you now have a more powerful and even more portable machine, I am struggling to see the issue.

It's a computer with the same screen size you will not even think about its size in a few days time, you will get used to it, we all do, about all sorts of changes on daily basis.

eddjedi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Are you sure you don't mean 13" MBA? I have both an 11" MBA and 13" MBP, the MBP is not smaller. I always thought the 13" MBA was unnecessarily large, with an inch of bevel around the screen it could easily have been a 15" laptop.

Reactions: 0989383

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Are you sure you don't mean 13" MBA? I have both an 11" MBA and 13" MBP, the MBP is not smaller. I always thought the 13" MBA was unnecessarily large, with an inch of bevel around the screen it could easily have been a 15" laptop.
Because I come from a 2011 MBA, I was making a size comparison to my new 2017 MBP-TB 13". I realize the screen size is the same and the MBP doesn't have the wider bezel, it just seems small (as if, I were using an 11" MBA).

Anyway, I'm traveling with the new MBP-TB this week and should determine after if I keep it or exchange it for a 15". The difference of $570 seems a lot when I have plans to purchase the iPhone X with 256GB.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
You will get used to it. Going from a 15-inch to a nTB was awkward at first, as was going from an nTB to an rMB. But one does adapt. If you are highly mobile and do not need the processing power of the 15-inch, the 13 sounds like a good match.

Another reason it may seem smaller is the higher resolution screen. Icons and text on my 2010 MBA seem gigantic compared to the rMB or nTB - and this makes the differences in physical form factors seem (at least to me) more significant. While I really like all three (the MBA, rMB, and MBP), the transition took a bit of adapting kind of like the transition to the new keyboard design did. But it all turned out well in the end, so I say give it a week or so and I think you will really be happy with your purchase. :)

Reactions: ET iPhone Home

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
You will get used to it. Going from a 15-inch to a nTB was awkward at first, as was going from an nTB to an rMB. But one does adapt. If you are highly mobile and do not need the processing power of the 15-inch, the 13 sounds like a good match.

Another reason it may seem smaller is the higher resolution screen. Icons and text on my 2010 MBA seem gigantic compared to the rMB or nTB - and this makes the differences in physical form factors seem (at least to me) more significant. While I really like all three (the MBA, rMB, and MBP), the transition took a bit of adapting kind of like the transition to the new keyboard design did. But it all turned out well in the end, so I say give it a week or so and I think you will really be happy with your purchase. :)
I appreciate it. I never even thought about the higher res. on the rMPB making text smaller. I'm comparing both MBA and rMBP-TB side by side. I do notice what you've mentioned here. It's the bezel and extra space around the keyboard that does make the MBA larger in size compared to that of the rMBP-TB.

Do you feel like you're not getting enough of the information within a given website without having to scroll down? With Macrumors for example, I can view 10 topics within the MBP forum page which then I need to scroll down for more. Not that it's an inconvenient to scroll, but it's something I never noticed with my MBA.

Reactions: ZapNZs

lax28

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2014
New Jersey
I highly recommend putting your MBA aside and using your new MBP for 10-12 days as you would your Air, by the end of that time you will most likely totally adjusted, and if not you have a couple of days left to still return it.

If you constantly use both, during this time your not going to give yourself the honest chance to adapt.

My guess is you will fall in love with it, but if not it may be worth trying the 15.

Reactions: HenryDJP

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Do you feel like you're not getting enough of the information within a given website without having to scroll down? With Macrumors for example, I can view 10 topics within the MBP forum page which then I need to scroll down for more. Not that it's an inconvenient to scroll, but it's something I never noticed with my MBA.

I've got the text on my retina MacBook set to super-tiny, as the retina makes it legible, so I can see more on the screen with it than I can on the 2010 MBA. Even compared to the much larger 15-inch screen on my 2011 MBP15 Uni, I can see more on the rMB's tiny 12-inch screen.

I use a 3rd party App called Better Touch Tool, which I learned about here - this makes the trackpad far more capable than from its factory settings (and it can do some crazy awesome things with the touchbar.) Compared to my rMBP15, I find with the rMB I like to have the ability to rapidly switch between full screen Apps and have programmed the trackpad to perform about 55 unique commands, including ones which switch Apps as well as App-specific ones (for example, I have one setting for Word, PPT, Excel, iWORK, and Chrome where if I place my middle finger on the trackpad and then tap with my pointer finger, this executes one 'undo' command for each pointer finger tap and then if I lift the index finger and tap with the ring finger, it executes a 'redo' command.) BTT might be worth checking out as you might find it further addresses some of the small shock by benefitting your productivity?

Reactions: ET iPhone Home

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Go to display settings and set the resolution to 900 pixel height. It's than the same as the 13" Air.

Other than that glue some cardboard around the bezel. That way it will feel almost like a 17" /s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.