I FINALLY got my first place.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mbpnewbie, Apr 1, 2009.

1. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

2. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

CONGRATS!! :D
    I remember how that felt waaay back in my late teens...hehe
    Hope you have an IKEA nearby so you can load up...cheers!

3. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

Congratulations.

I hope to get a place of my own in the next few years, being fourteen it would be a stupid idea to move out now.

Have fun in your new house, kit it out with all your IKEA supplies and then save up for a huge husky dog which can follow you around and be your best friend. :)

4. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Good for you! :)

Hope everything goes smoothly as you transition into solitude. It might be a while before you're used to it. The fun factor wears off in about a month or two, then loneliness sets in, but after six months you're used to it and wouldn't change it for the world.

Show some pics after you cozy it up.

5. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

I suppose if you go out often and have friends and family over regularly then there is no reason to feel lonely. :cool:

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know how other people felt, but I never had a transition period where I felt any emotional lows from living alone.

The only 'low' I felt was when I realized that a flat won't clean itself. ;) It usually kicks in a month later when things are a complete mess, you know it's completely your fault, and you should work a bit harder at vacuuming and dusting up a bit.

7. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Congrats on the new place...looks very nice. I've still got a few more years. :p

8. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

My vote would be for an English Bulldog...prolly named Tank, Meat, Bowzer, or Biggs. :p

9. dmiller macrumors member

to them is it just a bulldog?

10. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Ya know...that is a REALLY good question! :confused:

11. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I suppose that would cure the problem, yeh.

I was speaking from my own standpoint... I have no friends and Wii doesn't love me back. :D

12. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Man have prices gone up. E8 used to be the place for cheap accommodation...

13. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

Enjoy your new flat and your new life. It looks like a nice place! Check to see if any of neighbors have unlocked WiFi and offer to share the cost with them. My daughter did that with her first place and I showed her neighbor how to lock down the access point and they were both quite happy with the arrangement: half price broadband..:D

14. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

We call them British Bulldogs, Bulldogs and English Bulldogs :D it depends on who you are talking to really.

15. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Congratulations! Looks a very nice place. If only I could find somewhere as good. :)

16. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Wow at first I was going to say that place is really cheap until I realized it it 235GBP per week:eek:. Though in reality at $1360US per month that is on par or cheaper than many two bedroom apartments in the US that are located in major cities.

Though in Marietta that would pay the payments for a pretty big 4 bedroom house with 1/4+ acre yard.

Have fun being on your own. I went from parents to having roommates so I never have lived by myself. I'd probably get really bored though it would be nice to always have a spotlessly clean pad.

17. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

$1400 a month!!!? :eek: Good God...You have have one nice house here in the states for that. And thats owning, not renting.

I can get a 2k sq/ft house, 40x50 shop, and 10 acres for that. How do you guys pay that much for so little?

18. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Congrats!!! :)

Do you have an Underground stop nearby? I know they start to get fewer and fewer as you move further East.

19. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Nice work!!, i have just bought a house too, in fact been in it for 4 weeks and really enjoying it. I did have some small separation anxiety because i lived with my parents for 21 years, but after a couple of days in the house i felt better

Being to do what you want when you want it, have tea when you want etc.

20. mbpnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

It's about 10 mins by bus. It's about 5 minutes by bus to my school. I chose this place for proximity to the school. The postcode is E8, but it's really on the other side of the road from N1. The place comes furnished, but I still need a TV and sky+ box

21. mbpnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

this move is a welcome change. Due to some earlier criminal mischief, my parents were like nazi's. interrogations when I got home, room searches, etc. so I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ready to move out. as I said above, I spent about 2 months looking and offering, so to know it's just a bit of paperwork away is what is keeping a smile on my face today.

22. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Well i am going to give you some advice, make sure you make the most of your of your place, have has much fun has possible. But keep in contact with your parents and don't be afraid to ask for help from them.

Remember it's your place, you can do what you want when you want. Thats what i like about having my own house.

make the most of it!!! :)

23. Azmordean macrumors 6502

Not everywhere in the US. In my area, a really nice 1br apartment near Metro goes for 1400-1700 a month. Away from Metro and less nice and you can get down to $1100 or so.

24. mbpnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

The part about doing what I want when I want is the main motivator, but I will definately miss the parents and kin, but then again, they know where I live so they can visit when they want...

25. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Same with me, i was sick of sticking to my parents " routines" i had to eat when they did etc. Now i can do it when i want to

and yes my parents + grand parents visit me once a week. I see mum every morning and afternoon cause i rely on her to get me to and from work i have a eye problem so i am not allowed to drive a car, and were i live we don't have public transport!