Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
I finally caved and bought a console :eek:

Metal Gear Solid 4 and LittleBigPlanet were the main reason but Resident Evil 5 and some other exclusives like Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank sealed the deal as well (and I was dying to play Ninja Gaiden Sigma).

I hooked it up to a nice 1080p 32" Samsung LCD TV through HDMI, it's a nice TV. The console is a little big but it's sleek looking (except from the sides where the rounded shell looks weird). The interface is decent enough (though options a little hard to find) and using a USB keyboard for typing (when creating a PSN accoutn for example) makes things so much easier but it works plug and play so that's awesome.

Well it's been 2 years, you all know what a PS3 is like, anyways, I'm definitely liking going back to console gaming so far, the graphics are so much worse than on my PC (I still don't understand people who say they look the same) but I bought it for the games so I don't care about that.

LittleBigPlanet is wads of fun, it's a little too simple (I wish the platforming was a little more solid) but cooperative gameplay is pretty fun and the level design makes the game. Ninja Gaiden Sigma is exactly my kind of game (the kind of game like Pacman or Mario where mastering the gameplay is the fun part, not beating the content) but I HATE the design of the Greatest Hits box, it's so cheap looking. I haven't started MGS4 yet because I want to play it when I have loads of free time. GTA IV has a very shaky framerate and the blurry graphics made me dissy, I think I'm just going to return this and get it for PC instead.

The Dual Shock 3 is a nice controller, motion controls are a pain in the ass but the controller is very comfortable though I've gotten used to the 360 controller I've been using with my PC which is much bulkier.

Next on my list are Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank Future (which I was actually going to buy but it was out of stock :rolleyes:)

I'll be downloading Megaman 9 and Wipeout HD as soon as I get my internet up and running on the PS3.

P.D: I'll be honest though, I still like my PC better :p

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
PS: I'll be honest though, I still like my PC better

PC snob;)

Lucky thing for you the motion control is an option for most games. One game that uses the SIXAXIS effectively is folklore...you use it to pull the soul(folk) out of creatures.

If you're into RPG/JRPG I would suggest getting Folklore and Valkyrie Chronicles. I just got VC yesterday but the demo was good..Also Disgaea 3 is a very good one as well.

Bless

jmb667

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
Philomath, OR, USA
I'll be downloading Megaman 9 and Wipeout HD as soon as I get my internet up and running on the PS3.

Congrats on the PS3! WipeoutHD is well worth the money, and they just patched it so it's a little easier, too...it was prohibitively difficult to begin with (or I just suck...).

Nieval

Suspended
Mar 13, 2008
Congrats, i just got mine yesterday, along with the HDMI cable. I've got the same tv as yours but i'm more than satisfied with the graphics. I'll be getting LBP tomorrow hopefully but was a bit unsure whether or not its worth it. All in all, happy gaming and who knows maybe il catch you online.

Rivix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2005
Congrats! You chose the right console. ;)
And it looks like your choosing the right games too.

My PSN ID is Rivix if you ever want to add people.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Congrats on the PS3! WipeoutHD is well worth the money, and they just patched it so it's a little easier, too...it was prohibitively difficult to begin with (or I just suck...).

WHAT?!? Noooooooooooo! :mad: :(

This was the best Wipeout to date in terms of technical ability. (my 2nd would be XL/2097) Making it easier cheapens it for us hardcore dorks. But Wipeout HD = The Cats @$$.

Resistance 2? Noooo. :( I hated that game. It paled next to Resistance 1. I'll sell mine on the cheap if someone wants it.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
PC snob;)

If you're into RPG/JRPG I would suggest getting Folklore and Valkyrie Chronicles. I just got VC yesterday but the demo was good..Also Disgaea 3 is a very good one as well.

I got Valkyrie Chronicles as well, very anime-like with a unique feel to it. But unfortunately, it is still sitting on the shelf waiting to be played... after I am done with fallout 3.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
WHAT?!? Noooooooooooo! :mad: :(

This was the best Wipeout to date in terms of technical ability. (my 2nd would be XL/2097) Making it easier cheapens it for us hardcore dorks. But Wipeout HD = The Cats @$$.

*snip*

It's only a little easier. I've played all the Wipeouts since the dawn of time and I'd got to just under half way through the game. I was only advancing by increments, shaving half a second here and there and I did feel the game was too hard. The new difficulty settings mean that the speed lap and time trials now have "novice" and "skilled" settings, just like the races and tournaments. The original ones are now the "elite" setting. The settings don't affect how the ships fly. They only set (slightly) easier targets.

However, the medals awarded are a different design depending on which setting you're playing and no "hardcore" player will settle for anything less than the "elite" ones across all the grids. The overall effect is to make the game more accessible for (although I hate the term) casual gamers, while maintaining the top-level of difficulty for those with more intense requirements.

Now they only need to make "pilot-assist, on/off" a global option for online racing and release a few more tracks and it'll be about perfect.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Yeah, definitely need to make pilot assist races separate or filterable on the online.

I'm playing right now, actually. :)

Lincoln 6 Echo

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2005
Personally, I would highly recommend four games that have been out for a while AND which were well rated but the public never caught on to... and sine they've been out for a while you can probably get them at really good prices right now.

1. Warhawk
- fast, easy to get into, fun
- you can jump in for 10 minutes or (4 hours :eek:)
- try out the demo from the Playstation Store to see what I mean
- online only game
- GREAT price for the fun it gives

2. Uncharted: Drakes Fortune
- action/ adventure
- an awesome action/adventure gameplay & visual experience

3. Fight Night Round 3
4. Burnout Paradise

Chone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
I already have Dead Space for PC and I'm waiting for Burnout Paradise Ultimate to release on the PC to get it.

I mainly bought the PS3 for exclusives, the next non-PSN game I'll buy after Uncharted and Ratchet is probably going to be RE5, everything else coming out that interests me is out on PC as well.

I'm thinking of Eternal Sonata but JRPGs disappointed me so much in the PS2 era that I'm hesitant, they (PS2 RPGs) just didn't capture me the way PSX and SNES RPGs did back in their time.

Also, what games have true 1080p? I only know of Wipeout HD, Ninja Gaiden Sigma supposedly has it but it's easy to tell it's not a true 1920x1080 game (it also lacks texture filtering... what's up with that?). Also, are all PS3 games supposed to have AA or is it not mandatory like 360 games?

Well overall, I'm happy with my purchase, I don't mind no BC because I still have my old PS2 and I can switch between the PS3 and PS2 by just switching the video source in my TV so that's not a problem.

Also, what's a thread without pictures? So here you go: It's still a little messy :eek:

DSC02583.jpg

DSC02584.jpg

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
A bit late, but I have to ask: Does your PS3 get warm in that setup?

Mine has more air space around it, and the fans still kick in pretty fast. I keep hearing/reading about how quiet the PS3 is supposed to be, but I find the fans fairly loud. Was always wondering if more air circulation would take care of that... It's the 60GB Euro launch model by the way.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
They run a little quieter in the vertical position I've found. If you have the launch version - might be about time to blow out the intake/exhaust vents with some compressed air. (dust accumulation will make it harder to cool off, so the fans will run faster to do the job)

Mine has been folding almost non-stop (since the app launched) every day outside of May-Sept. I find when it starts to get louder, cleaning it out does the trick.

deorg

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Miami, Florida
Get some pants on a shirt and run to the store right now and buy the esencials...
call of duty, great fps the best,
metal gear solid, one game that is exclusive to the ps3
grand turismo 4 , real driving no [removed]
I digg skate buy tony hawk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.