Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aiwa Xp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2014
Hello all. I'm happy to say that after a long time of yearning, i finally got my very first Iphone! It's a hand-me-down, but it's in great shape. I've only ever had cheap flip phones before, never a smartphone. So i'm really happy! The only problem is...

It's a Straight Talk Iphone. Meaning it supposedly can't be used with any other carrier other than Straight Talk themselves. Which is bad, because they're "unlimited plan" isn't actually unlimited. You only get 2.5 GB, and if you do things like surf the web or watch youtube, they'll turn off net usage for the month.

So instead of that, i was hoping there might be some way to unlock my phone to use somewhere else. I've heard about jailbreaking, but i don't really know if it can help me. Here's my phone's stats.

Iphone 5
16GB
White
Model number MD105LL/A
Running 6.1.4
Network/Carrier TFW

So what do you guys think, is there anything i can do?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hello all. I'm happy to say that after a long time of yearning, i finally got my very first Iphone! It's a hand-me-down, but it's in great shape. I've only ever had cheap flip phones before, never a smartphone. So i'm really happy! The only problem is...

It's a Straight Talk Iphone. Meaning it supposedly can't be used with any other carrier other than Straight Talk themselves. Which is bad, because they're "unlimited plan" isn't actually unlimited. You only get 2.5 GB, and if you do things like surf the web or watch youtube, they'll turn off net usage for the month.

So instead of that, i was hoping there might be some way to unlock my phone to use somewhere else. I've heard about jailbreaking, but i don't really know if it can help me. Here's my phone's stats.

Iphone 5
16GB
White
Model number MD105LL/A
Running 6.1.4
Network/Carrier TFW

So what do you guys think, is there anything i can do?
No idea about unlocking, but jailbreaking is an entirely different thing. Jailbreaking lets you install apps and tweaks that Apple does not approve of.

A few years ago you could jailbreak and then use a software unlock to unlock your iPhone. Those days are long gone though. Now, it's an IMEI unlock. Failing that you can try a SIM Interposer (usually an R-Sim or a Gevey) which trick your phone into thinking it's working on the same network when it's not.

But I have no idea how you'd unlock your iPhone. Just relating details.

scbond

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2010
Nottingham, UK
If it's a GSM phone then you'll need to investigate into unlocking it so you can swap the existing SIM to any other SIM that you choose. If it's a CDMA phone then ideally you should be able to unlock it in the same way and then insert a SIM...I'm not too sure about the process or possibilities of CDMA though as I've only come across GSM.

Start searching for unlocks on Google for your iPhone model (should be A****) and you'll either find instructions for doing it or some bad news.

Hope that steers you in the right direction!

Aiwa Xp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2014
Thanks for the replies guys! I've been busy, so i haven't had time to come around. Shame that jailbreaking can't help me, though i figured as much. And i don't know anything about CDMA vs GSM either. But i did go to MetroPCS to see what they could do with it.

They put in one of their sim cards and after half a minute of "no service" it worked! Well, it worked under 3g, not 4g. So i didn't activate it with them, since i have no idea how fast their 3g is. And since it can work with other carriers, i was wondering if i should try T-Mobile to get 4g speeds.

I'm not sure, i may just go with Metro since it'd only be around $40 a month with them. I just hope their 3g is fast enough to do things like watch youtube and stream Pandora.

ItBeMe22

macrumors 6502
I'm not sure, i may just go with Metro since it'd only be around $40 a month with them. I just hope their 3g is fast enough to do things like watch youtube and stream Pandora.[/QUOTE]

I have the same phone you have got and I use Straight Talk and use Pandora all the time with no problem. But I do not watch youtube. But for the cost of $45. a month I am as happy as a pig in mud. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.