I finally ordered a Powerbook! What should I do when it arrives?

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
I have been contemplating which Mac to buy for the last two years and have been putting it off since I sold my iMac G3. After multiple “what to buy” threads, I have finally made a purchase and I’m so excited!!! :D This is what I ordered:

PowerBook 15"
1.5GHz w/ 64MB VRAM
512MB RAM
80GB hard drive
8x SuperDrive

It should be getting here late next week and I plan to buy an Apple keyboard, a Logitech mouse, speakers, and Techtool Pro 4 and then eventually APP, an iPod, photo printer, and a case.

I do know I have to drain the battery completely once and then recharge it, but my one question now is: Are there any tests/hardware tests I should run when it gets here just to make sure everything is alright?

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
just drop it down some stairs :p

j/k... umm... I would just use the computer... drain the battery like you said, but really just start using the computer and enjoy it... thats what I did when I got my PB 6 months ago, and it hasnt failed me yet...

if something doesnt feel right, if its not as responsive as you would of thought, then I would run some Hardware tests (with the supplied Apple Hardware Test CD) and such... but I think you will be alright :)

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
What should I do when it arrives?

You can:

1) Give it to me.

2) Maybe take it out of the box and set it up?

3) Kiss it.

4) Did I say you give it to me?

;) jk, enjoy your Mac.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Don't open the box. Readdress it to my house. I'll take care of it for you. :D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
You can always start a thread on how to return it...

That seems to be a popular topic every now and then. :rolleyes:

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
I suggest you savour every moment of opening it. It's quite a special moment when you see all of the detail apple put into the packaging. At least thats the way it was for me when i got my mac two years ago. I can still remember the smell of the plastic.......oh the memories!

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
First you should sign for it when Fedex give it you, then you dance like a school girl, admire the outside of the box, open it, admire the inside of the box, admire the powerbook, touch the powerbook but only with one finger (this is your first time remember), do another dance.

Lift it out of the box when done dancing, tell yourself that you have a powerbook, turn it on and then weep a tear because you are now finally there.

Other people will suggest getting software, I don't do that.:)

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
CrackedButter said:
First you should sign for it when Fedex give it you, then you dance like a school girl, admire the outside of the box, open it, admire the inside of the box, admire the powerbook, touch the powerbook but only with one finger (this is your first time remember), do another dance.

Lift it out of the box when done dancing, tell yourself that you have a powerbook, turn it on and then weep a tear because you are now finally there.

Other people will suggest getting software, I don't do that.:)
I'll see if I can remember to do all that! :D

qzak

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
drain battery?

whats this about making sure to drain the battery completely the first time?

gettin my first mac comin up here in March, a nice 17" PB :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.