I finally tasted the speed of USB3!

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by madrag, Dec 9, 2013.

1. madrag macrumors 6502

I have my Mini for almost one year now, but didn't have any USB3 drive until now.

I bought the Lacie Minimus USB3 3TB.

As many know, USB2 on the Mac isn't that fast, and I was kind of worried that USB3 wasn't that fast, but boy! I was wrong!

My internal HDD got this with the blackmagic test:
    (averages - high)
    W: 102 MB/s
    R: 102 MB/s

And the Lacie go this:
    W: 159 MB/s
    R: 155 MB/s

I had a small hickup at the first time I plugged it, it was getting USB2 speeds, and then I read that the bus will take the speed of the first devices plugged, I just swapped ports and it gained the USB3 speed.

Does it show that I'm happy?

Anyone else with happy encounters with USB3?

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Fixed that for you. Mac or PC, doesn't matter. USB maxes out at only about 30MB/s on any platform.

3. madrag thread starter macrumors 6502

I had a Lacie USB2 four years ago, and it was way slower than 30MB/s on my Mac, on a PC it was much faster, that's why I mentioned on the Mac it is slower.

BTW, when this new external was plugged to my Mac using USB2 speeds, it was over 30MB/s, almost 35MB/s!

4. haravikk macrumors 65816

Personally I'd say the speeds are 30-40mb/sec as I use USB for my Time Machine backup drive and they average closer to the 40mb mark.

But USB3 is definitely a huge improvement; it's fast enough that although I'll need to move my internal hard drives into an external enclosure that USB3 may actually be fast enough for my needs, which is something I simply wouldn't have considered with USB2. Okay so there's latency to contend with, but I'll be using an internal SSD to eliminate most of that.