Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
So I finally did it, bought a series 6. I think from Series 3 and on, I was looking to upgrade, being a series 0 owner but I never really felt a compelling reason to buy. One issue I have with the apple watch (or any smart watch) is an expectation to keep upgrading every few years. I still have my watch from when I was in high school, which at this point feels like 100 years ago :) I can't say how long I'll hold on to this one, but over all I'm happy with upgrade

I opted for the Nike, space gray 44mm and its really nice. I've yet to use it on a run, though if the weather holds clears, I'll get out at lunch hour.

The final straw that drove me to spend $$ is the fact that my series 0's battery no longer lasted the day. it would frequently die out by dinner time. Sooner if I had a long work out.

One annoyance was the purchase experience - I bought it online for local pickup, yet I had to schedule an appointment. I think all retailers (except for apple) that offer online buying/local pickup have some form of curbside. Its not a major issue, but it was an annoyance. I probably would have bought this a week or so sooner but every time I looked to get one (and it was in stock), there was no time slots available.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Congrats!

I've seen reports of people getting curbside pickup with Apple store purchases, so it may be dependent on the individual store. Can't check for any of the stores in my area right now though with the site down.

Just for fun - for your first run - presumably without the phone - try repeating a route you've done several times previously. Then look at the GPS tracks.

My S6's gps tracks are among the cleanest I've seen -- and I've had several since my first Forerunner 610. Be interesting to see your impressions.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
try repeating a route you've done several times previously. Then look at the GPS tracks.
Definitely, the GPS is one of the killer features that has drawn me into upgrading.

One thing I noticed is the wireless charging cable is much much shorter then what I got with the the series 0, which btw, works flawlessly on this model. Given the different dimensions, and increased sensors I wasn't sure if it would work

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Definitely, the GPS is one of the killer features that has drawn me into upgrading.

One thing I noticed is the wireless charging cable is much much shorter then what I got with the the series 0, which btw, works flawlessly on this model. Given the different dimensions, and increased sensors I wasn't sure if it would work

Interesting on the puck cable - my first AW was an S2. I seem to remember the puck cable was 1 meter then. I guess the earlier units got the 2m version?

FYI on the Always On Display - as you no doubt have figured out already, most apps don't display in AOD; just a blur with the time displayed. Apple's workout app *does* display in AOD, and it's what I use for my runs. As I'm not a serious runner these days, it does all I need it to do. I use RunGap app on my phone for gear tracking and to export the workouts to third party sites so my eggs aren't all in one basket.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
At this point, I turned off AOD, since I'm so used to not having it and allowing the display to be off like older units, I can prolong the battery.

I'd suggest logging battery data with AOD on and with AOD off.

See what the actual battery impact is like. You might be surprised.

I remember testing it briefly when I got my S5 and didn't note a substantial difference; but since my S5 nearly always lasted all day with AOD on I never felt much incentive to turn it off. Plus AOD was a substantial factor in choosing to buy the S5, so if I had to turn it off to have adequate battery I'd have just stayed with my S4.

Sorry I can't offer better than anecdotal info on AOD impact. What I can say though is that with my S6, typical battery consumption on my S6 to date is a little under 3% per hour on average. With AOD and everything else on that would normally be on. Yesterday I went to bed with 32% battery after being up 17.5 hours and doing a 45 minute run.

Reactions: jdb8167

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
@maflynn

I think the ‘curbside feature’ seems to be relatively new being implemented (Partially due to the opening and re-closing of stores with the pandemic case fluctuation). I know the stores in my area are just now allowing curbside pick up, which kind of posed some issues for Apple if it’s on a really busy street where there’s limited or no parking as it is for the customer. But I agree, most, if not all retailers are offering some type of curbside where the customer doesn’t have to enter the store.

[Best Buy actually had curbside pick in the beginning when the pandemic actually started, and had a excellent layout of where you Park direct into a stall, you call the phone number on the sign with the corresponding parking number, and they come out to you within a few minutes with your order. Really well executed on their behalf.]

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
See what the actual battery impact is like. You might be surprised.
I've tried the always on for few days now, and comparing the battery usage. At the end of the day with the Always on, I had about 40 to 50% battery left, where as the display being off, gave me a 60% plus battery, close to 70% but it only approached 70% when I didn't do an exercise that day, but with the AOD it seemed pretty close to that low 50% mark.

I like the AOD but I opted for now to go back to the old way have the display turn on when I'm not viewing it.

I think the ‘curbside feature’ seems to be relatively new being implemented
None of the stores, I was checking in my area had curbside, I had to make an appointment, and that's the thing, I was checking inventory and trying to buy a week or two, but when I found a store that had it in stock, the "reservation time" was not compatible with my schedule. Maybe its not rolled out in the northeast or maybe the clusters of stores in the MA and NH area were not embracing curbside. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: deeddawg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.