I finally went ahead and did it

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MOTU, Jun 26, 2007.

1. MOTU macrumors newbie

After a month or so lurking here I've finally gone ahead, bit the bullet and ordered my Macbook. I got the 2.16 white Macbook. Stock. Ordered with the education discount and a black 30 gb iPod. Ordered it Sunday morning and it's apparently already in Toronto (3 hours away from me atm).

It took me a while to decide between white or black. In the end black was not worth the premium for me. HD isn't an issue for me (if it becomes an issue I can get an external) so it all came down to paying the extra 200 just for black.

Any tips for a new Mac user? I've played around with a friend's iMac before but I still have a bit to learn.

For students: What apps do you use for taking notes?

2. Jessy macrumors regular

Hold the three modifier buttons (ctrl, option, and command/apple), and press 8. That's pretty much all you need to know in order to operate a Mac!

...Congrats on the purchase, by the way. Why is your name MOTU?

3. MOTU thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know. I picked it randomly a few years back at another site and it's stuck with me for the most part. Alluded to Masters of the Universe at the time (that's He-Man for you non 80s kids ;) )

What does ctrl, option, and command/apple and 8 do?

4. MOTU thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: Macbook and iPod are on the truck on route to my house. Too bad I'm at work :(

Lightning fast shipping considering I opted for the standard (5 days processing plus up to 8 shipping).

5. Jessy macrumors regular

I'm not going to spoil the surprise. Just hold those three buttons and hit 8. Do the same thing again once you've had your fun.

I didn't even think about Masters of the Universe. I was a huge He-Man fan as a young boy...I even liked that Dolph Lundgren movie. In Mac circles, MOTU usually refers to Mark of the Unicorn, which is a company that makes some really good music software, but those guys in Cambridge can't compete with the heroes of Eternia.

6. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

He-Man? pfft.

It's all about the Thundercats!

Thunder....Thunder....Thundercats.....HOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the world of Mac!

7. MOTU thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the first two seasons of Thundercats on DVD :cool:

8. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Congrats on your purchase. You'll love it. Check out "What apps must I absolutely have" thread here. You'll find tons of neat stuff.

The first thing I did on my MacBook was get rid of all the crap I didn't need, like garageband loops, extra languages, printer files, etc.

9. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

nooo... I did that and you broke my mac!! hahaahha... no really... that is an awesome trick... did it invert the colors, weird lookin'

10. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Oh yeah..

My first time was awesome when I did that, you can change the way you invert the colors by going to Preference (I think) and changing the corresponding colors.

11. 2hondas macrumors regular

I DID THE EXACT SAME THING! :D Ordered a Top White Macbook, upgraded to 160 gb HD, and a White 30 gb ipod. :) Ordered it about an hour ago.

12. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I simply use Word, TextEdit, or TextMate (TextMate is great for coding, btw).

13. MOTU thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been using word on my old Toshiba to take notes. I never tried One Note until after I was finished my undergrad even though it was on the machine the entire time. Lurking around the site I've seen some similar programs. Not sure which is better.

I'll be waiting for Office 2008 to come out before I'm willing to shell out any money for any programs. Probably just end up with Open Office until then. How long is the Office 2004 trial?

14. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

that inverting of colors, on my screen it makes it Black and White inverted not color @_@???

15. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

------------>System Preferences------------>Universal Access, uncheck Use Grayscale.
    MOTU, congrats on the purchase of the mac. :)

16. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Funny, that happens on my sister's PM G4. It's inverted for an instant, and then goes B&W.
    Tips:
    1) remember to quit apps.
    2) fool around with it, you'll learn more.
    there you go.

17. MOTU thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys.

Fooling around with it was the main reason I bought it so early. School doesn't start until mid August, but I was going to wait and see if the next gen iPods would be released near the end of the back to school offer. This way I will be able to learn how to use it well before school starts.