I Find This Annoying

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flipster, Jun 16, 2011.

1. flipster macrumors 6502a

Excuse my ignorance, but I just want opinions on this. I absolutely love how in iOS 5, the notifications will now be a drop down menu.

However, I HATE how the notification doesn't stay in the menu. I find it really annoying and distracting if this big bubble comes up on the top of the screen and blocks my view. On Android, it stays in the status bar (where it should be).

Truth be told, I'm coming from a Droid X. The notification system was great, but I dont understand why everyone complained about iOS's system in the first place. It's my first time using it coming from a Droid X, and I actually like it. I see no problem with it whatsoever. So, can I turn this stupid bubble thing off when iOS 5 is released? Opinions? I'm not here to hate, I just don't see the problem with the current notification system, and that bubble at the top of the screen with iOS 5 is just really annoying lol.

Attached Files:

2. JASApplications macrumors 65816

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My suggestion is to leave apple feedback on the beta over at developer.apple.com

4. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

OP, if you've never used iOS before iOS5, the notifications were VERY intrusive. If you got a text, for example, you'd get a pop up right in the middle of the screen that stops what you're doing dead in it's tracks. You could dismiss it and return to what you're doing, but if you wanted to respond, you'd have to leave the app you're using and it would open the messages app. After sending your reply, you'd have to use the multitasking tray to get back to the app you were in previously.

The notifications in iOS5 have been improved greatly over this, but there's still a lot of concerns. The biggest gripe seems to be still having a lack of quick reply. But, iOS5 is still on beta 1, so if enough people send Apple feedback, as suggested above, hopefully they'll listen and implement this feature in the final release.

For those of us that are jailbroken, we use apps like biteSMS, which does notifications perfectly.

5. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

I haven't played around with notifications in iOS5 that much so I don't know if can roll them back up. But I'm not crazy about the Android's notifications either. With Android you get a bunch of icons on the top bar and even a bunch of repeated ones, I guess you get used to their meaning but it's just too much crap up there. Also the notifications include things like "app such and such updated" I don't care!, I want to know if I missed any calls! I don't want to browse thru 10 "app updated messages" to get to the important events. JMHO.

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You know what I find really annoying?

Posts that have nothing descriptive in the TITLE line.

7. stupidm4n macrumors member

Think you have a choice of Alerts,Banners or None as Alert Style

8. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

That's for individual apps, right? Is there an overall setting?

9. PhoneI macrumors 65816

You can turn off the new notifications and have them act just like they did in the old version (why anybody would want to do this, I have no idea).

You do realize that the notification bubble only stays on your screen for a few seconds, then it goes away?

10. stupidm4n macrumors member

Yeah individal at the momment. Maybe when its released there will be overall setting, but if there was just an overall setting everyone would moan for individual settings :D

11. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

The one thing I really wish was present here was some sort of indicator in the menu bar saying how many notifications you have. Not necessarily what apps they're from, but something saying that you have some waiting to be read. That way, you could tell at a glance without having to drag the notification center down and back up again.