I fixed my Blank email problem...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MrThompsonR, Aug 17, 2010.

1. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

I noticed that they would load when I put my phone into "Safe Mode." When I would respring and have to Jailbreak apps turned on I would notice blank emails dated 12/31/00? When I would tap on them nothing would open. After some trial and error within the settings for Mail, Contacts, Calander... deleting/ then adding the accounts back or turning off "Organize By Thread" were hit and miss... I'd see the emails for awhile then eventually the blank emails would return? It seems the problem was with the Mail plugin settings in Loclinfo.
    Settings/ Lockinfo/ Plugins/ "Edit Button" Mail make sure Mark Read on Tap, Delete on Hold, and in "Previews" Mark Message Read and Dismiss on Delete are all turned to the "On" position. On my phone Delete on Hold and Mark Read on Tap were turned off? Turning them on fixed the problem. Now I can see my mail in the Mail app as well as Lockinfo. When I read/ delete a message the email count changes instantly within Mail/ Lockinfo.

2. Cattlecruiser macrumors newbie

My fix

I was plagued with the same problem, and the fixes for lockinfo and threaded emails in settings didn't work. There would also be times when the passwords for the email accounts would disappear and come back randomly. Seeing as the emails came back when I was in safe mode, I eventually started disabling mobile substrate add-ins systematically through SBSettings.

On my iPhone 4 32GB I found that disabling Screendimmer resolved my blank email issue.

[EDIT] I've narrowed the cause of my issue further to the specific setting in Screendimmer 'Don't lock after respring'. Disabling this option fixed my blank emails.

3. oicyu8chu macrumors newbie

I can confirm this as well. Just don't enable the two options to not lock after a respring, whether connected to battery or not. The problem I suspect is that it bypasses the proper authentication of your passcode and since iOS wasn't specifically designed for that, you will have blank e-mails randomly and frequently because you haven't technically "signed" into your springboard. Also, you will also see that other apps will forget its password too, and you will have to enter it again and again (i.e. AIM, Foursquare, eBay, Twitter).

4. juandanielserra, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011

juandanielserra macrumors newbie

I can also confirm this. My problem was with Lockinfo, specifically with the "Bypass Passcode" option. My mail was screwed (all 12/31/00 No content messages) and also it messed with my Evernote app...it wouldn't login and would display an error. Twitter was also asking constantly for a password.

I turned off that option, respring and the problem was solved.

5. Stimpy5050, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011

Stimpy5050 macrumors newbie

I've seen this once or twice, but it's not consistent and I'm not sure what the root cause is. Like you all have determined, going into safe mode will fix it. It's definitely related to the method I'm using to ensure mail previews work on passcode protected devices. Basically, when passcode protected, the device will disable the database that stores the email contents. By tricking the device into thinking that there is no passcode, it works, but there seems to be some side effects that I'm trying to work out the kinks on.

Are there any patterns to what causes the issue for you guys? What were you doing before the issue occurred? Was there a mail app crash?

FYI - You can turn data protection back on in the advanced settings and this will fix everything, but will break mail previews.

6. juandanielserra macrumors newbie

Stimpy5050, thanks for replying here.

As I mentioned earlier, I first noticed the issues with the Evernote App, which first would load and immediately exit and after reinstall it wouldn't let me login.

This is the post I made on their forums:

http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=16019

Maybe that console log gives you some light into what the problem might be.

7. Stimpy5050 macrumors newbie

And evernote starts to work when you turn off LockInfo or enable data protection in the advanced settings for LockInfo?

8. juandanielserra macrumors newbie

@Stimpy5050

It does. The error happened to me today, no weird steps. Maybe it happened when using something that skips the passcode after a respring reboot and not having used the normal passcode before?

So, today my mail was damaged again. Checked Evernote and had the same problem I encountered the other day. So I just put the "Bypass Passcode" option to never, re-sprung and it was Ok again...

http://img820.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=img0043i.png

9. dynalmadman macrumors member

This is freaking HUGE! I have been chasing this problem for months.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Michael

10. Stimpy5050 macrumors newbie

11. Adobe75 macrumors member

Thank you. This issue has seemingly randomly affected me as well. It has given me blank mail messages, forgotten passwords for GMail accounts, and caused apps for Mint.com and Match.com to not start.
    I disabled the passcode bypass and re-sprung. Entered my passcode and issues are gone.
    I will check out the beta and see how it goes...

Thanks!!

12. Cattlecruiser macrumors newbie

An update for 5.0... I've been able to reproduce the blank email bug by messing around with IGotYa settings, fixed when disabled them. Cydia app settings which perform certain actions without unlocking the phone seem to be the issue.

13. rrandyy macrumors 6502

Agreed. Cleverpin has the same issue.