I fixed the heat issues in my 3 day old Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Off1c3r, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Off1c3r macrumors newbie

I know some people saw my earlier posts about returning the MBP but I just loved it so much I didn't want to, but I didn't want to deal with the heat issues either. So thanks to these forums, and guides that others have put up, I took it upon myself to fix the heatsinks. My biggest complaint: WOW. Does Apple use small connectors. The hardest was the tiny one for the keyboard lights I think that is right under the left fan, and the display connector. I broke part of the keyboard light connector retention clip, and I broke off the retention clip for the display connector but was able to fix that back.

IDLE TEMPS
    Pre: 100 - 108F

Normal Activity (Browsing Internet/Youtube/Mail)
    Pre: 115-130F
    Browsing/Youtube/Mail: 96-110F

I can only assume higher intensive stuff will be even better. On a side note with the youtube, standard def stuff never made the temp pass 102-104F and the HD content moved it to 110F.

Like others.. I had the same mess inside:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Nice. Too bad you didn't actually have a heat issue, but that thermal paste job does look like it was pretty messy.

3. Off1c3r thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha.. I know you keep saying I never had the problem... but it does feel better for me cooling it down :)

4. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Your application is still too thick.

The most needed is something as thin as the edge of a razor blade. That is what I use to apply thermal paste. I want to just put enough so that I cannot see the dye. Looks like you have some extra on there.

5. marc11 macrumors 68000

So you did all that work, expense and warranty risk, in fact voiding if Apple ever discovers it on a brand new machine to cool it down by 20 degrees, when there wasn't an issue to being with? Wow, good on you man, you are braver than I am.

6. Off1c3r thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah honestly from the picture, it looks like a lot and I thought it was too but literally its so thin. It just looks like that from the picture. If I was to tap it, you would see the die area.

I know it was risky, but for me personally, I love the change. Now I don't hear the fans spinning up to 6000 just to keep the thing cool. It runs so much cooler and I am way happier with it. It was a good learning experience too. I never worked inside a mac before.

7. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

The person who assembled my 13" MBP must have had a light touch when it came to applying the thermal paste: it's the coolest-running portable Mac I've owned (iBook G3 and G4; Core2Duo 15" MBP). It barely gets warm to the touch.