I found a 1G iPod in my backyard

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DolmenRage, May 5, 2010.

1. DolmenRage macrumors member

Yeah, this morning it appeared in my backyard. It's a 8 Gig first gen iPod, I already have a 16 gig 2G iPod touch so I have no use for it except maybe keep it in my car.
    Now, my backyard is pretty much open for everyone, I live in a closed area with a golf course, so my backyard is right in front of a hole and there's people passing around all day playing golf, but there is no reason why a golfer should come into my backyard.
    I will keep it around for some days to see if somebody asks for it, if they don't then maybe I'll sell it or see what I can do with it. The problem is, it has a password and I can't access it to see the data and see if I know the person. Is there some way I can see what's in there, like the music or something that will give me information about the owner? I obviously don't have bad intentions, I just want to return this to it's owner.

2. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

3. jontucker macrumors 6502

You can't think of a SINGLE reason why a golfer would come into your back yard?

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

must be a nano FWIW - the 1st Generation iPod (huge white block) didn't come in 8GB.

my guess is that a golfer dropped it in search of his errant shot.

5. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

I'm guessing he meant a 1G Touch ;)

6. Surely Guest

Surely

Or chucked it due to an errant shot.:p

7. DolmenRage thread starter macrumors member

Well, obviously I can, but they shouldn't because it's illegal and even if they did why would they have an iPod touch in their hands? It wasn't like on the floor as if they had dropped it, it was nicely positioned on this sort of table that we have outside.

And it is an Ipod Touch, I thought that kind of implicit since this is the iPod touch section.

8. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

I'm not completely sure if it shows you any personal info on the Apple support site, but go there and look up the serial number and see.

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Just hang onto it. The person may come by in a few days, if they do, you'll see who was trespassing. If they dont, then it's your gain, since they trespassed on your property :]

Win Win situation IMO :]

10. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Seems they put it on the table while searching for their ball, then forgot to pick it up again on their way out. Easy to do when your mind is pre-occupied on looking for a ball / distracted by your golfing partners shouting to get a move on.

If you want, you could put a 'found ipod' note up by the clubhouse. Ask whoever replies to name the date lost or something like that. You'll probably get a tenner reward and a nice glow.

11. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

+1

Sucks for the person who lost it.

12. DolmenRage thread starter macrumors member

Well, I thought maybe I'd update.
    Nobody claimed it and I asked around with people I know but I couldn't find the owner. My little niece took it and my brother put some games in it for her. She lost it a couple weeks later. Don't know if they've found it. Maybe that iPod is cursed.

13. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Possibly.

How'd you get past the password?

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Asking "people I know" does not really count.

Why didn't you post a note at the golf course?

Depends on the state, you might need to report "found" items to the police.

15. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

16. the-oz-man macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

That's exactly what I would suggest. Look in the pro-shop for cork board or some place where people post notes or lost clubs.

17. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

If you didnt read his post, then he already gave it to his family.

18. DolmenRage thread starter macrumors member

See, the problem about posting a note in the clubhouse was that I live in Mexico. Now I don't know about the US, but here I would get flooded by people telling me it's theirs when it's clearly not.
    Now, I want to be a good person and all but I'm not willing to waste so much time and have so many people calling and asking if they could see it so that they can prove it's theirs just to end up being lied to.

19. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I see. Sorry thought you lived in the U.S. If you lived here and it happened, then that might happen to you, just matters what neighborhood you live in.