I found a bug in bootcamp, where do I file a report?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pmartin, Aug 14, 2007.

1. pmartin macrumors regular

I found a bug in Boot Camp. I am using a Core Duo MacBook Pro. To replicate it, boot into Windows, choose reboot into OS X, and choose shutdown from the OS X menu. This will corrupt the BIOS/EFI settings. The colors will become very strange and will stay that way until resetting them with the old PRAM reset key combo. Where can I file a more specific bug report to apple?

2. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

That's strange. Are you sure these are the steps to reproduce the bug? It sounds far too simple for a somewhat serious issue. I just tried to reproduce it with my MacBook Pro Core Duo, and nothing happened.

3. pmartin thread starter macrumors regular

It might be unique to my system then, although I read about some others having similar problems. Please try the following before I file the report:

Boot into OS X
    From control panel choose Startup Disk and choose Windows
    In windows, on the bottom right click on the Boot Camp icon and choose Startup Disk; choose OS X
    From back in OS X, choose Shut Down from the Apple menu

This should corrupt the EFI settings.

4. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

Seems to be working fine over here. I'm using a MacBook Pro 1.83GHz Core Duo, Mac OS X 10.4.10, Boot Camp 1.3 Beta, Windows XP Professional SP2 on a 15GB NTFS partition.

5. pmartin thread starter macrumors regular

I am running Boot Camp 1.4 beta, perhaps that is where the discrepancy is.

6. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Go ahead and report it. If you can reproduce it, they should know about it.

7. koops macrumors regular

Mine does not dothis, but what I have noticed with Bootcamp 1.4 is that I can't hold down option to choose the operating system I want to start! it always boots into the last OS I had open which means I have to do a lot of control panel and restart.

Anybody else tried holding down option key on start? and it not working? iot just boots straight in?

8. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Sounds like the issue I saw with Boot Camp (thread) after a bad crash. Windows won't boot up with the correct colours, but if you restart, it will. OSX, on the other hand, I hadn't been able to fix (without wiping both partitions and reinstalling both OSes etc..)

I'll try reseting the PRAM, thanks. I'd report this. I already have sent feedback to the Boot Camp email address (and recevied a reply, so obviously someone is reading!), but it's a good idea to put this into bugreporter as well.