I found a dog!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dagless, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Today's been a bit of a mad 'un.

So I'm up on the moors having a rest. Only! dun dun duuuh a few rain drops hit my arms. As I'm basically sprinting down the ravines I'm praying that the rain holds off.
    As soon as I get back onto the main path it chucks it down, torrential style.

On my way back down the main path I spot something moving in the corner of my eye. Turns out it's a dog caught down some 8' deep overflow ditch, crying and shivering. I run up and down the length of the ditch to see if I can find some ladders or some kind of step up to get it out. There's nothing, except a raising water level and a huge cliff of sorts where the water falls into.
    Thinking the dog might die, I jump down and push it out, waters up to knee level now.
    It gets out and runs away from me! Thinking I don't want a dog loose in the area (they get shot by farmers) I rip apart my camera bag and get a bit of string off it to use as a leash.

Walk the 3 miles to the bus stop, no dogs! Ring up my parents and they're all out at work. So as well as being soaking wet through and muddy and just exhausted I've now got to walk the 6 miles home!

The plan is to take her to the RSPCA in the morning. Has no name tag so we don't know what to call her till then!

Attached Files:

2. Queso macrumors G4

Well done reggedjimmi. That's one of the nicest stories I've heard in weeks :)

3. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Good for you :)

My best friends family actually found an abandoned dog at Tyson's Corner (a mall, and not inside it :D). They kept him. It's so sad when people mistreat animals :(

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

We're calling her Lady for the time being :) another pic of her attached, be a shame to take her to the RSPCA now. We've all grown quite attached to her!

Attached Files:

• lady.jpg
      lady.jpg
      File size:
      261.4 KB
      Views:
  5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

^^ She looks much nicer all cleaned up. Good luck, I hope she's healthy (and not expecting any puppies).

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Aww! That is incredibly touching and I'm so glad to read that you and your family really seem to be such caring people (and you for taking the time and energy to act).

There are good people. :eek: Nowhere do I say I'm one such. If anything, the opposite.

8. Queso macrumors G4

She's beautiful, and looks happy enough in your kitchen too. I hope she's microchipped or something so the RSPCA can get her home quickly.

9. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I hope so! Before we go to the Police or RSPCA we're visiting local farms. Since we suspect she's from the area and seems to be good around sheep and the likes.

Responds to the name Roger too! Doubt it's her name though :D

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Quite a story, raggedjimmi. How 'bout naming the dog Sedna, since she came from the water? Sedna was a sea goddess and mistress of animals.

We found a dog once too. We didn't adopt him, but he adopted us. He was abandoned in our neighborhood by somebody who (I guess) simply didn't want him anymore. He had no collar, but you could see that he had previously worn one.

For some reason, he decided to camp out on our doorstep (like those stories of finding a baby in a basket when you open your front door). He was very hot and thirsty so we opened the garage and gave him some water in the shade there. We did the "found a lost dog" routine with notices on trees, a newspaper ad, and the local animal shelter, but nobody claimed him. So we kept him. The temporary name we gave him the first day was Digby, which stood for "dog in garage becomes yours". :)

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Ah the loyalty of a dog :)

I wanted to call her Yeoman, after the reservoir she was beside at Dovestones. I was calling it her all the way home, then my sister walks into the kitchen and started calling her Lady and it just stuck!

There's actually some strange coincidences about all this. But now I need my rest!

12. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Awesome "feel good" story. I have to say I am impressed with the selflessness of you tearing up a camera bag to guide a lost puppy home. Good stuff[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Morning has broken and all that, she was wide awake and full of energy. Completely different dog from yesterday! Rang around RSPCA and Police stations - nothing they can do. Apparently. But we called up the cities dog kennel (Manchester Dogs Home) and they've taken it away. They're going to contact us to let us know what happens :)

I miss her :eek:

14. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

Thats an awesome story.:D I love animals, I have hard time giving them up. Hope all turns out well with the pup.

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

That's a really cool story. Hope she is found a good home.

Is this the story of Rush? :)

16. iGav macrumors G3

The only time the RSPCA give a stuff is when there's a TV camera about. :rolleyes:

Well done though chap. :)

17. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

LOL!!! We owned a dog that looked like just like that, and we called her lady.

18. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Did you lose her on your trip to England?

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member