I found a great deal on headphones.....

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Surely, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Surely Guest

Surely

I just bought a pair of these from Amazon:

Ultimate Ears MetroFi 200v Noise Isolating Earphones w/ Microphone

The reviews look good, and they're on sale for $24.95 instead of $99.99. And they're available for free shipping. Get 'em while they're hot......

They're going to be my new gym headphones....

Anyone have any experience with them?

Mods, if I'm not allowed to make a post like this, I apologize. I just thought I'd share. :cool:

2. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

great find, to bad amazon.ca doesn't have them.

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Love how Amazon puts them 5¢ under the free shipping threshold. :( Anyway, I've been looking for some new earbuds that won't fall out of my ears like the Apple ones (even though I'm fine with the sound of them), maybe these will be good.

4. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Yup, I noticed that too. I was able to find something else I needed to put me over the threshold though.

Actually, last week these were listed at $29.95, but I guess they decided they wanted the extra 5 bucks as shipping instead of as part of the price.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Meh. Free shipping with Prime :D

6. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

What he said. :(

7. iphonefanatic macrumors member

does anyone know if these fit in your ears well? Thats generally the probalem I encounter with headphones

8. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yeah, with all the orders I place there I should have that. :) Anywho found something else to tuck into the order.

When they arrive I'll comment on how well they fit. I hope it's well because that's one of the primary reasons I got them.

9. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

I would assume that they will fit pretty much any sized earhole (I got that term out of my anatomy atlas ;)) since they come with "Three sizes of single flange silicone ear tips and one set of dual flange silicone ear tips included for a near custom fit"

I already have the V-Moda Vibe Duos that have the same silicone ear tip options, and they fit very well.

BTW, I'd recommend against the V-Moda Vibe Duos. I'm currently awaiting my SECOND set of replacements after one of the speakers died (first time it was the left, this time it was the right). This time it only took around 4 months for them to break. On the plus side, V-Moda has an efficient warranty program, but I'd rather be using a product that doesn't break. It's a shame, because when they work they sound great, and they have a cool design.

10. iphonefanatic macrumors member

Thanks...... Also, does anyone know what the best earphone is thats fairly cheap, no mic, no noise isolation and stays in your ear.

Thanks again

11. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

Wow, just got the headphones. That was fast, I ordered them on June 2nd and they weren't scheduled to arrive until the 8th! A weekend surprise for me.....

Here's the scoop so far:

I'm using them with my 1st gen iPhone.

They fit well and sound really good so far. I'm using the medium-sized single flange silicone ear tips.

The overall length of the cable is about 2 inchs longer than the original iPhone headphones. A good length.

I really like the location of the play/pause/call-answer/ffd/rew button. On my V-Modas, it is in the same place as the microphone, on the right speaker wire. This set has a separate microphone and button. The microphone is on the right speaker wire. The button location is below the Y split, and seems more accessible (and the right side isn't as heavy).

Another plus is that the cables are rubber-coated. My V-Modas were, as the V-Moda website states: Kevlar® reinforced fabric cable, and I would get electric shocks in my ears if I put my iPhone in the pocket of my Nike Dry-fit shorts as I walked! I've already tested it out- no shocks from the UEs.

I've listened to a bunch of different music to test them out: acoustic, rock, hip-hop, vocal, live, bass-heavy, some guitar solos and instrumentals. So far, I'd say I'm impressed, especially for the price. I'm looking forward to seeing how they sound after the burn-in period.

I'm listening to Maceo Parker - Life On Planet Groove right now. The horns and the bass in Shake Everythin You Got sound great!

So far: Recommended.

12. JCastro macrumors 6502a

WOW!!!

That is a good deal. I am in the market for some new ones. These might fit the bill! Thanks!

13. Polymira macrumors regular

I have some decent akg headphones, but have been looking for some decent earbuds with mic/button without spending too much.

Ordered with free prime 2 day shipping, thx!

14. heyp macrumors 6502

nice find... is it a straight jack or L-jack?

15. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

That's a huge discount. Wonder why they're selling $100 'phones for $25? Maybe a new model coming out?

I used my Zagg z.buds on the airplane to/from vacation recently and I must say that I'll always get a pair of the ear-plug style phones for use on the plane as they really block the noise. If you travel much, I'd advise you to look for similar designs as well -- I was really impressed with how the plane engine noise/etc. was blocked during the flight.

16. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

It's a straight jack.

I prefer it, even though the L-jack is supposed to be an improvement.

My last pair of V-Modas broke at the L-jack..... probably because when the cable is pulled hard, it doesn't pull the jack out of the iPhone, it just pulls hard on the wires and probably tears the connection.

New models are already out- I went to UE's website, and this model isn't listed. They're at 220 now.

17. mgk65 macrumors newbie

I had a set of these and liked the sound. However, the cord went bad after about 6 months. I was able to return them to UE and get approved for a replacement. However, I have now been waiting since 04-27-09. I just called them and the replacements are still on backorder.

As a replacement, I got some SkullCandy Ink'd earphones at Target. Which do me just as well, as I mostly listen to podcasts before bedtime. The low profile of the Ink'ds also don't hurt my ears when lying in bed.

I am considering the UE SuperFi 3 Studio because they have replaceable cords. They are $88+ at amazon.

18. tombee macrumors member

I got mine yesterday. Ordered em Friday.
    I like em!
    They stay in my ear better than my sony's.
    The button is much more responsive than my apple phones.
    Sound sounds fine.
    Great addition to my headphone collection :D

19. heyp macrumors 6502

some reviewers on amazon claim these are the same, but for $35

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-UHP336-Snugfit-Earphone/dp/B000Q7IA5E/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

20. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Got mine today.

Sound: I'm not picky when it comes to these style headphones, they sound perfectly good to me, at least as good as the Apple ones.

Fit: the size tips that came fitted out of the box fit my ears. I think they're the smallest size. Didn't fall out at all, although my left ear started to feel slightly uncomfortable (left ear is always the problematic one with headphones — the one the Apple ones always fell out of first).

Came in snazzy packaging. Chord is about as long as the Apple ones. Made to fit the 1st gen iPhone without adapter. Verdict: considering the price, quite satisfied.

21. mgk65 macrumors newbie

22. jersey macrumors regular

Nice find. My gf ordered a set, so she thanks you. I'm excited to see how they compare to the NuForce I use.

23. Dakotafan macrumors 6502

I bought the same UE's off eBay for $44....I also had he Vibe duos for the past two years until the right channel went out...interested to see how the UE's are...

24. Love Juice macrumors regular

slightly off topic, but i noticed a couple people complaining about it being just under free shipping. if you need $x.xx amount to get to free shipping, check out: http://slickfillers.net

you're bound to find something that works :)

25. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

^ That's awesome.. I've been needing something like that for a long time! Thanks for the link. :)