I found a solution to the 15"uMBP loose hinge!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gr80Likes2Boogi, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

LOCTITE!

Thread sealer!

I was getting VERY annoyed at my bi-monthly open-the-bottom-case-and-tighten-the-hinge-screws for my late 08 uMBP. Eventually, cranking down the screws won't work as I'll strip either the heads or the threads. I put some Loc-Tite thread sealer on it and I gotta tell you- it's been 3 weeks and no sign of loosening up.

Anyone else have this sort of solution? I can't take it to the genius bar every week =)

2. jpma macrumors 6502

3. frankieboy macrumors regular

I had noticed the hinge on my new uMBP was looser than my previous AlBook Core 2 Duo, but not enough, yet, to require tightening anything up.

Thanks for your post, though, I'll keep Loctite in mind.

4. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I love Loctite.

I've used it on loose rivets in the base of the blades on my hockey skates. I've been skating on them 2 times a week for over a year without any sign of coming lose.

If it works in that environment I'm sure it will work for the lifetime of the laptop.

5. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Loctite is good, but dont use it on the shallow MBP screws. When you need to take them off at a later date, you might strip the screw heads. The screws are very soft.
    I used teflon film. Works great and it keeps the screws snug enough to last awhile.