I found an AppleTV, I'm a complete noob to this, what can I do with it?

aqe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2019
It is a A1427 model, so it would be the Apple TV (3rd Generation, Early 2012)

I have a few questions:

1) It didn't come with a remote, while a new one does. Do I need the remote? How important is it? Can you still buy appletv gen 3 remotes? or given how old this model AppleTV is, is it even worth buying a new remote?

2) I haven't been able to test it yet, but I did plug it in and a white LED keeps on blinking, at least it turns on, does that mean it is good to go?

3) Am I able to install a webbrowser on this and somehow attach a keyboard and mouse? I don't watch much TV but I could use another machine with a webbrowser if it is possible.

4) How much can this be sold for? In case the above doesn't work out. The product was released in 2012, so it it still worth something (like macs) or do appleTVs become obsolete quicker?

dwfaust

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2011
It is a A1427 model, so it would be the Apple TV (3rd Generation, Early 2012)

I have a few questions:

1) It didn't come with a remote, while a new one does. Do I need the remote? How important is it? Can you still buy appletv gen 3 remotes? or given how old this model AppleTV is, is it even worth buying a new remote?

2) I haven't been able to test it yet, but I did plug it in and a white LED keeps on blinking, at least it turns on, does that mean it is good to go?

3) Am I able to install a webbrowser on this and somehow attach a keyboard and mouse? I don't watch much TV but I could use another machine with a webbrowser if it is possible.

4) How much can this be sold for? In case the above doesn't work out. The product was released in 2012, so it it still worth something (like macs) or do appleTVs become obsolete quicker?
1. You can still buy a remote ($19 or so)... but there is also a free iOS REMOTE app that serves the purpose quite well.

2. Possibly. The blinking white light is the first step in powering up. Connect it to a TV via HDMI and see what happens.

3. No web browser. You can connect a BT keyboard (and I assume a BT mouse, though I don't know anyone who has done this).

4. Not much. The gen 2 was jailbreak-able so for a while (at least) it held better value than the gen 3. I'd guess $25 if you found the right buyer.