I found the 2020 MBP New Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheRealAlex, Feb 11, 2019.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 68000

So it is no secret that Apple is a Samsung customer. They buy RAM, and OLED Displays, NVME M.2 drives and other components from them. Samsung always develops the part first and offers it to Apple as an off the shelf component which can be customized to suit Apple’s needs. (I know Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave now) Eventually Apple products will be just rebranded Samsung components assembled by Apple.

Now for the good part and why I won’t touch a MBP res design until 2020.
    Look at the below link for a stunning 15” MBP sized 4K HDR OLED Display made by Samsung.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13896/samsung-unveils-15-6-inch-ultra-hd-oled-display-for-laptops

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Wasn't any different in the Steve Jobs era, they still didn't make any of those components themselves...

Looks like a great display though, I'd be all for one of those.

3. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

And so it starts people saying it will never happen because OLED has burn-in and will happen more often with a computer, and Apple would never do it, until they do just like their recent iPhones...
    At Steve Jobs era Apple would still buy third party components for their products, and they used to be unreliable aswell so I don't understand your argument...

4. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

Being a Samsung customer may not guarantee a MBP with OLED in 2020 given how high MBP prices are at the moment.

5. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 68000

I think RAM prices are falling and NAND flash prices are falling too. That savings on an OEM Level would be enough to offset any price increase to the OEM. And still charge the customer a $200-$300 Price increase which would be worth it to the Customer.

6. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

As nice as OLED is (I have a 4k lg tv), I would not be willing to spend the extra funds to have a OLED laptop screen.

I'm perfectly happy with my old MacBook pro. I'm sure others will not agree but that's what makes this forum so interesting.

7. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

That's a 16:9 display though. Unless there is an equivalent 16:10 panel, I don't think Apple will jump on it.

8. leman macrumors G3

Apple doesn’t use 16:9 displays... and I think they will skip OLED and move straight to MicroOLED

9. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 68000

I hope so. In the mean time my 2018 iPad Pro 11” and MacBook Air will have to last until 2020.

10. crawfish963, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019

crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

Agreed. That's a premium screen and it will throw a 15" spec'd MBP north of $10,000 easily.

11. Painter2002 macrumors 6502a

Painter2002

Also, while Samsung has perfected the OLED screen on mobile devices, with little to no burn-in, I’d be concerned on a laptop monitor getting burn with the chance for much longer times of static screen images (potentially), especially when you consider MBPs used in a professional capacity for 8+ hours a day. Phones screens aren’t used nearly as much as the screen on business laptops.

12. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

That is a really nice display but I don't think Apple has issues with their displays. They need to fix literally EVERYTHING else.

13. Cashmonee macrumors 65816

Cashmonee

To be fair, the article does not mention any measures that have been taken to avoid burn in. I have an LG OLED TV and it has no burn in that I know of, but I also do not run a dock on the bottom of the screen for hours on end. I also have an iPhone XS, and again it does not run for hours on end. My MacBook Pro does run for hours on end though, and I am not sure the software tricks employed by my TV (pixel shift and a "wash" when turned off) can work for the laptop. Burn in is definitely overblown, but it also would probably be my top concern for a MacBook Pro with OLED. Not saying it isn't possible to pull off, but I also think it is unproven on a laptop.

14. jimmy43 macrumors member

Burn in is offset on mobile screens by moving the always-on display slightly over time. Mobile screens also have rapidly changing contexts - by way of different apps taking the whole screen. TVs are primarily used for moving pictures which by definition change the content of each pixel.

I don't see any such software or natural solution for laptops using OLED. The solution must therefore be in the hardware. And considering that Samsung has not revealed any such solution (or any other manufacturer), we can conclude the problem has not be solved. It's likely this laptop is just testing the waters for demand and/or a using customers as ginny pigs for improving on some work-in-progress ideas. Do you really want this in your MacBook pro?

15. Ploki macrumors 68040

pretty sure apple doesn't use M.2 drives and never has. :p
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2019 ---
    I'd be wary of using perfect and pen-tile crap in the same sentence

16. Falhófnir macrumors 68030

Falhófnir

Two problems I see - firstly, as others have pointed out, MacBooks are pretty settled on 16:10 aspect. This makes sense for screens of this size as 16:9 can leave a lot to be desired for productivity work (vertical space). The other issue is the 4K resolution. That would give a native @2x scaling resolution of 1920x1080 - which is really pushing it for comfortable UI size at 15.6". Maybe if they increased the screen size to reduce the bezel as they have done for other products it might work. I know the current machines default to non-integer scaling, but I think upping the resolution this far would start really putting noticeable pressure on the machine's GPU (and therefore battery life) if everything had to be scaled. Making the screen's physical resolution up to 3360x2100 (@2x the current 1680x1050 default resolution) might be a nice improvement though.