I found this really weird eMac..

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by StrangerHacks, Apr 12, 2014.

1. StrangerHacks macrumors newbie

I found this old eMac on the curb a few months back and I can't find any information on it, it's really weird, it's not a normal generation I've been able to find.

I found on the curb one night just sitting there all by itself with the power cord still hanging out the back beside someones garbage so you better believe I turned that car around and picked it up. When I got home I hooked up an old USB keyboard and mouse I had laying around it started right up, I wanted to see what I was in for here, maybe a weekend project of some kind perhaps?

Only, I can't figure this out.. It says it's 1GHz so that leads me to believe this is the older USB 1.1 with the Radeon 7500.. except it has USB 2.0 with a Radeon 9200

I figured I would look at the RAM, make sure it's PC133 and it's not, it's not even PC2700 like the 2nd generation, it has PC3200 RAM that's caked with dust and the bottom cover was still sealed so I don't think it's ever been opened before, there were no screw driver marks in the bottom screw either from over tightening or anything so it looks original.

I checked the optical drive? Wait.. what optical drive? There's just a factory plastic cover with nothing there behind the fold down bezel. There's not even a 56k modem like every other model Apple released.

I guess my question is, what kind of spaceship is this thing? What planet did it come from and why was there a 1.0GHz 2nd gen eMac with PC3200 RAM sitting on the curb that appeared to me that night??!!

2. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

The April 2004 > May 2005 eMac 'USB 2.0' was indeed available in 1.0GHz, 'no optical' flavour. Education market only.

PC3200 is supposedly fine with the USB 2.0 model. I guess the assembly line just used whatever was to hand.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

^^^This. Model M99832.

The MacTracker app is your friend. ;)

4. StrangerHacks, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014

StrangerHacks thread starter macrumors newbie

This makes much more sense now.

With it having PC3200, Does this mean it supports 400MHz or does it underclock to 333Mhz of the "officially" supported PC2700

5. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Yeah, I'm not convinced by MacTracker's model number though. That number applies to a (1.25GHz) 2005 model, according to Apple...
    USB 2.0: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752
    2005:http://support.apple.com/kb/SP44

That said, Apple's tech spec sheets say that the 1.25GHz 2005 model is the *only* eMac that was designated as EDU and sold without an optical, and I'm 100% that this is plain wrong.

As an aside: Turkey has a strange status...
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752