I found yet ANOTHER iOS 4 bug.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CJayC, Jul 22, 2010.

1. CJayC macrumors 6502

I've already found 2 bugs and both of those ended up with people telling me "just restart the phone and it'll go away". OBVIOUSLY. The point of me show you these bugs is not so you can help me with a temporary fix, it's to show the bugs still in the OS. Now I work for an R&D company so that's why I know how to find these bugs so well before you mention "not important because it hasn't happened to anyone else.

Now on with the bug

First video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec5eZsDSBl0

Then I noticed it happened with all stock OS sounds in this next video demonstration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBnpuEVcnm4

2. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Didn't watch all of your videos, but did you try a restore? If that doesn't work you probably have a faulty speaker and I'd return it.

Good luck and let us know what happened!

3. rookie1082 macrumors regular

Why don't you just submit the bugs on Apples website - in the section that they reserved FOR THIS PURPOSE.

You are complaining on this board as if you want us to do something about it.

What do you want us to tell you to do? How to code it so the bugs don't happen anymore? Return it? Reboot it?

Or do you magically want an Apple exec to read your post and knock down SJ's door in the middle of the night so that your bug is fixed?

Oh and to fix this bug you need to do one thing and one thing only. Reboot your phone. Have a great night.

EDIT: Like the second poster said, you should restore or else you have a faulty speaker.

4. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

We get it. Your phone is bugged to hell. I've been using my iPhone 4 for a minimum 6 hours daily since the day after launch and have yet to see even 1 bug. Just restore it or replace it.

5. CJayC thread starter macrumors 6502

I appreciate your post but please read the 3rd sentence of my original post.

Please read the third sentence of my original post. Also, the bug reporting function on their website is for developers only.

Since it's OS related, I'm sure all the phones are like this, but like I said, once again, most people (or should I say everyone) have not encountered the bugs because they don't know the process of bug hunting. You all just use it "as intended" like opening apps, closing them, checking email,etc all the obvious things. But when I hunt for bugs, I try things in conjunction with other things being open and mix-and-match different combinations of screen taps and app loads and closes. It seems to me like you think it's not a real bug just because hundreds of people haven't posted about it or gotten any news coverage. Software coding is an intricate process and will NEVER yield a perfect code. It's perfectly NORMAL, and all I'm doing it reporting it. Since the best way to find bugs is to give the product to the masses to try and they'll report errors to you. Since that obviously wasn't feasible with Apple's status, they didn't find EVERY SINGLE bug. But it's perfectly NORMAL to have these small errors.

6. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

That's not good. (I watched your video). Thanks for posting this here - I like keeping up on potential problems.

7. rookie1082 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure one of your "sentences" could have been imperative -- but it was missing a subject and a verb. Therefore your third sentence is technically:

OK? Cool.

PS Its your attitude that people have a problem with on this board. Not the fact that you are pointing out bugs.

8. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

9. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Then you have not been using it for a minimum of 6 hours a day since launch. Lol. iOS4 has lots of bugs that are evident by even the casual of users. Good try though. ;)

10. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Why are you reporting it here?

When I find bugs, or have a suggestion, I actually report it to the company.

Apple has a nice form just for that purpose. www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

11. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Well since you work for an R&D company, you should know that the two sound issues you demonstrate in your videos are not iOS 4 bugs. You see, a software bug is reproducible across many or all devices.

Can you give us a list of the exact "combinations of screen taps and app loads and closes" that you used to produce these "bugs" so we can reproduce the same problem on our iPhones running iOS 4? If you can't, your bugs are nothing of the sort.

What you have is either:
    1. A glitch with your install of iOS4 on your phone. If this is the case a restore should fix it.
    2. A hardware problem with the speaker on your iPhone. Instead of making YouTube videos, you should just demonstrate the issue for a genius and get it exchanged.

12. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

Yes, I have. Want pics of my battery usage everynight before I goto bed? I apologize I havnt had any issues with my phone and/or ios4

13. Chromus macrumors regular

14. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Yeah, me too :)

15. bmacir macrumors 6502

Your room is a mess!
    ...just sayin'

as for the bug it's not one that I would lose my sleep with.

What bugs me is your attitude in the video...but there is no software/hardware fix in the works for that :D

16. dabomb665m macrumors regular

I don't get what all the hostility is about. I find nothing wrong with his tone or post. Some of you defend apple so hard that people probably get turned off from posting here.

Is it better to post at Apple? Yes.
    Does that mean he shouldn't post about it here? No.

Last I checked, this was a discussion forum... not an Apple defense force. Nothing is perfect. It may be software or may be hardware but before either is proven, you all should chill out. It's just a phone. And Apple is just a company. Jeez.

17. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

18. John T macrumors 68020

John T

So far, the OP has started 3 threads, reporting so-called "bugs" in the iPhone4. The first was closed down by the moderators and the second is going the same way! Now we have this one!!

They all describe what happens when, as he says, "I try things in conjunction with other things being open and mix-and-match different combinations of screen taps and app loads and closes" (!). With respect, what he describes are not "bugs" in the accepted interpretation of the definition. They are malfunctions resulting from input to the 'phone which were never envisaged or designed for.

As he says "You all just use it "as intended" like opening apps, closing them, checking email,etc all the obvious things." Well, of course we do!!! That's what we bought our iPhones for - to use them as intended!!!.

Anything, if not used for the purpose it was designed for is going to do strange things. Imagine driving a car at say 50 mph and you ram it into reverse gear..... That action will certainly make the car behave in a very strange way and it certainly won't do the gearbox any good! Why? because cars are not designed to be driven that way! It's certainly not a "bug".

I suggest CjayC resets his phone back to as it was when it was purchased, forgets about being an R&D expert and just uses and enjoys his iPhone as intended.

19. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I had that. Restarted the phone and it never came back. :cool:

20. dabomb665m macrumors regular

While I respect your opinion on the matter, I have to say I whole heartedly disagree. I also don't think your car analogy makes much sense here. A bug, by definition, is an unexpected "event" that occurs when a certain condition is met... which is repeatable. Putting a gearbox in reverse at 50mph and blowing the transmission is not an unexpected result... nor is it repeatable. That's more akin to using your iPhone under water, which is not it's intended function... ending with an expected result of the phone dying.

There are lot's of ways things are "not used as intended" and in turn, creates a bug. How else do you think most security hacks on browsers, servers, etc are achieved? Do you think the malicious hacker was using it as intended? Just because he wasn't, doesn't mean it's not a bug. When you play a game and do something unintended and out of the ordinary that "bugs" out the system to give you an unfair advantage... that's a bug.

I think it is you who does not understand the definition of the word bug. Yes, maybe CJayC worded it a little wrong by saying you guys are using it as "intended". I don't think that is what he was trying to say. I'm sure he meant that you guys probably don't go beyond a certain routine when using the phone. I know I don't. That doesn't mean that when certain conditions are met, the phone will not wig out. In fact, this is how some jailbreaks are achieved. They attack a bug that creates a security hole.

The only difference is the severity of the bug. If it's something that is difficult to reproduce, then yes, it's not really important or pertinent to fix right away(or at all). If it's something that is easy enough to reproduce that someone may randomly trigger the bug from daily use... then it will only help us all if these bugs are ousted before the next iOS update.

To be clear, I'll try to make an example:

even if "sliding the volume to exactly 33%, then exiting and double clicking home to pick your ipod app, then selecting a song but not playing it, then pressing the lock button, then receiving a call" is the exact trigger of a "bug", it's still a valid use case and CAN/WILL happen eventually. You can argue all you want that the exact example given is not how the phone is intended to be used... but that would just be denying that there is an issue in the software.

21. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

1) I think the sound is cool

2) not a bug, a glitch.

3) your video camera obviously has a bug as it turns all of your videos sideways.

22. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Anyone can report bugs to Apple. And yes, they do read them.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

23. CJayC thread starter macrumors 6502

24. CJayC thread starter macrumors 6502

The most perfect wording I've ever seen. I almost creamed myself when I read this line. Kudos.

Oh yeah, I'm using Cycorder on my jailbroken iPhone 3G to record the video. I keep forgetting it doesn't automatically set the orientation.

25. kolax macrumors G3

How about you post textual descriptions of the bug? I really don't want to have to listen to your voice and look at your useless attempt at filming the "bug".