I fudged up my external hard drive!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ghall, Jun 29, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

So, my external drive is formatted into 2 partitions, one is a 30GB partition while the other is a 200GB partition. Well, I meant to format the 30GB but I accidently formatted the 200GB and lost EVERYTHING on it. What's worse is that I copied all my files from the 30GB partition over to the 200GB so I lost those too. Will I be able to recover the files using Data Rescue?

2. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Well, I sure hope I can recover with Data Rescue, because if I just realized I have 30+GB of iTunes TV shows stored on there. :eek:

3. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Okay, this is urgent! I was only able to recover a few episodes of Star Trek Voyager. I'm still missing the first 3 episodes of Star Trek Voyager, and all 3 seasons of The Office.

4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

If Data Rescue can't get them all, I'm not sure you'll have any luck. If it's just iTunes shows you're worried about, call Apple and explain the situation. Maybe they'll let you re-download everything.

5. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Will I have to redownload EVERYTHING, or will I be able to have them reset just what I lost?

6. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Honestly, I have no clue. Never tried it. If they're willing to do it, I don't see why they couldn't just reset the ones you need. But again, I don't even know if they will. Don't see why not, though.

7. iz3r macrumors member

iz3r

Why did you mess around with partitions on a external anyway

8. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I was wiping the smaller partition so I could install a second copy of Mac OS X, for testing purposes (e.g. hacking the software, without damaging my main install).

Fortunately, I have made contact with iTunes support. They asked me for my order numbers, so I manually typed in all 12 that contained the content I needed to re-download. Still awaiting reply, but things are looking good so far.

9. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

That's really good to hear. If they weren't willing, you'd know by now. Glad you'll (likely) be able to re-download the shows.

10. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

The weird part was that they couldn't find any record of the shows in my account. That's why they asked for my order number.

I was looking through the recovery scan results, and it seems everything EXCEPT .m4v files could be recovered. Is that a bug in Data Rescue?

11. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I lost some iTunes music when my old PC wiped out. Apple let me redownload all the songs no problem -- they just needed the order number to make sure I had bought them. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

12. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Thanks. That's good to know.

13. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Could be. Or it could be that the .m4v files were large enough that the each had a bit of corruption.

Sounds like you're in business though. You recovered everything else, and Apple should let you re-download what you need. Count yourself lucky (assuming Apple does that).

14. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Hmm, I don't see how they could have become corrupt. They played fine last I checked.

Myself lucky counted. (WTF??)

15. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Just meaning that when you reformatted the drive and lost everything, maybe those files got partially erased or corrupted in the process because they were so large.

I don't know, though. Just a guess. You should contact their tech support to see what they say. I'd be curious to know if it's a bug or not.

16. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Well, I'm re-downloading all my TV episodes now. Apple is amazing! They even knew which episode of Star Trek I hated, and removed it from my downloads. ;)

17. thechefxxxv macrumors newbie

If you hadn't bought them from the iTunes store (thus having no backup) I would highly recommend Boomerang data Recovery. it's pricey, but I recovered all 150 GB of my combined music and movies on my external drive. Didn't lose a thing!;)

18. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I have Data Rescue II, and I was only able to recover a couple GBs of stuff with it.

I just realized, a few 3d meshes I was working on were unrecoverable. :(

19. Mickey C macrumors newbie

I messed my drive up better

Without thinking it through I reformatted my hard drive and then realized I had all of my kids pictures and videos on it. My wife is going to kill me when she finds out. Does anyone have any ideas on how to recover this information, preferably for free?

20. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

to OP. lucky you got back most of the stuff.... wouldnt have wanted to do a 35-pass format!!! hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

the program mentioned here seems to be pretty good, data rescue. what kind of format did you do>? just a clean wipe or like a 1-pass/7-pass/35-pass wipe? if any of those id be a bit worried for you.

21. thechefxxxv macrumors newbie

I tried Data Rescue 2 on a friend's Mac, but it doesn't recover the track names. Is there any way to find the track names??:confused: