Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
After using Catalina, I have fully skipped Big Sur and upgraded straight to Monterey.
I did not like initial reports about Ventura and so none of my computers (MBA m1, m2), Mac mini M1) has been upgraded to Ventura. While I am heavy user of Logic and FCP, I don't think I missed anything due to not upgrading to Ventura.
It seems that in Fall I'd directly upgrade to Sonoma.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
I get that. I have been waiting for Ventura to be amazing and the reports are so mixed that I don't want to try it.

Sonoma might be good enough, since technologies from Ventura have been settled.
Yeah sonoma’s initial reports are quite inspiring

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
While I am heavy user of Logic and FCP, I don't think I missed anything due to not upgrading to Ventura.
I'm also a heavy user of Logic (but not FCP), and still running Monterey.

The world is still fine. The sun rises and sets as usual.

If you depend on your machine for any money-making production endeavors, I would be very afraid to upgrade without waiting for the manufacturers to fully test their drivers and plugins on Sonoma. For the larger manufacturers, that may often take several months to test out their existing product lineup (and often even legacy products) on the new OS.

Unlike Ventura, Sonoma does not offer any major functionality that would appeal to creators. Mostly a lot of frills and embellishments, and likely a slew of bugs that need to be fixed as a result. Apple is focusing most of their efforts now on VisionPro and visionOS, it seems. If you didn't see any point in upgrading to Ventura, I don't think you will see any benefits by upgrading to Sonoma either, aside from security patches (most of which may still be offered to Monterey for another year at least, anyway).

Last edited:
Reactions: StoneJack

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
I'm also a heavy user of Logic (but not FCP), and still running Monterey.

The world is still fine. The sun rises and sets as usual.

If you depend on your machine for any money-making production endeavors, I would be very afraid to upgrade without waiting for the manufacturers to fully test their drivers and plugins on Sonoma. For the larger manufacturers, that may often take several months to test out their existing product lineup (and often even legacy products) on the new OS.

Unlike Ventura, Sonoma does not offer any major functionality that would appeal to creators. Mostly a lot of frills and embellishments, and likely a slew of bugs that need to be fixed as a result. Apple is focusing most of their efforts now on VisionPro and visionOS, it seems. If you didn't see any point in upgrading to Ventura, I don't think you will see any benefits by upgrading to Sonoma either, aside from security patches (most of which may still be offered to Monterey for another year at least, anyway).
Thats a great point. Monterey has been good for actual work (read no broken apps and plugins) so maybe no need to update

Reactions: bousozoku and jchap

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Thats a great point. Monterey has been good for actual work (read no broken apps and plugins) so maybe no need to update
I do understand what it’s like to get the latest OS with the accompanying bells and whistles, though😏 I just hate it when things like drivers that worked in the previous OS don’t work in the new OS.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Yes, Sonoma will be perfect for all, the answer to everyones prayers.
Could you please justify why you say this.
I'm not arguing the fact, but I do recall that that were similar comments suggesting that Ventura would provide the promises that many were after, but that ultimately resulted in many downgrading from Ventura to Monterey for multiple reasons.
Fwiw I have no experience with either and still very happy with 11.7.7 Big Sur.

Last edited:

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Could you please justify why you say this.
I'm not arguing the fact, but I do recall that that were similar comments suggesting that Ventura would provide the promises that many were after, but that ultimately resulted in many downgrading from Ventura to Monterey for multiple reasons.
Fwiw I have no experience with either and still very happy with 11.7.7 Big Sur.
What happened to your tale with all the idioms? Did the moderator delete it? I thought that added some fun to the proceedings, but maybe some moderator decided that a little wordplay was no fun... for that matter, my post after that got deleted as well.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
What happened to your tale with all the idioms? Did the moderator delete it? I thought that added some fun to the proceedings, but maybe some moderator decided that a little wordplay was no fun... for that matter, my post after that got deleted as well.
Yes. Pleased you appreciated it, as obviously it was posted solely to add a little humour to the proceedings. However so be it, I guess we must respect the moderators action...........

Reactions: jchap

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Yes. Pleased you appreciated it, as obviously it was posted solely to add a little humour to the proceedings. However so be it, I guess we must respect the moderators action...........
I realize that the job of the moderators is not an easy one, and recognize that they have the final say… but I must admit, I have seen much more off-topic content and far lower quality content on these forums than the delightful idiomatic prose you presented for our reading enjoyment 😉

Ah well. Win some, lose some.

Reactions: CooperBox

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
After using Catalina, I have fully skipped Big Sur and upgraded straight to Monterey.
Yeah, me too. Ventura is a washout. Let's hope Sonoma is a lot better.

Terrible name, though. It's obviously familiar to Californication-types – not me – but disturbingly close to soma.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I did not like initial reports about Ventura and so none of my computers (MBA m1, m2), Mac mini M1) has been upgraded to Ventura. While I am heavy user of Logic and FCP, I don't think I missed anything due to not upgrading to Ventura.
Big Sur was night and day more stable for me than Catalina and Monterey! Ventura is an improvement over Monterey (at least as far as things that aren't "System Settings", Mail, and Safari are concerned). Sonoma seems like it has the potential to improve on some of Ventura's quirks, but it still seems like a far cry from Big Sur's stability. Sadly, none of them hold a candle to Mojave.

Reactions: StoneJack

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
Big Sur was night and day more stable for me than Catalina and Monterey! Ventura is an improvement over Monterey (at least as far as things that aren't "System Settings", Mail, and Safari are concerned). Sonoma seems like it has the potential to improve on some of Ventura's quirks, but it still seems like a far cry from Big Sur's stability. Sadly, none of them hold a candle to Mojave.
Yeah mojave was good. Last to support a bunch of my workflow apps. Still can’t find good replacements for some.

halledise

macrumors 68000
i've tried ventura a couple of times yet have found it to be more trouble than it's worth.
nothing major, just little annoyances.
i didn't find ventura to be noticeably faster or sleeker than monterey.
fortunately my M2 MBAir came with monterey so i've been able to revert to it and every app works as it should.

my 20¢ worth …

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I went straight to Ventura from Catalina and I regret it. It’s been bad. Hoping Sonoma will fix some things, but I am not confident. Lucky to have some older machines working ok to do stuff the latest ones can’t. Which is a ridiculous state of affairs. But Apple are always going to Apple.

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
I went straight to Ventura from Catalina and I regret it. It’s been bad. Hoping Sonoma will fix some things, but I am not confident. Lucky to have some older machines working ok to do stuff the latest ones can’t. Which is a ridiculous state of affairs. But Apple are always going to Apple.
What specific problems have you had with Ventura?

stinkhorn9

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2020
I'm still running Snow Leopard on a 2009 Mini that doesn't go online (if it even could), and no longer either remembers what the time / date is when you boot it up - or what sound card is plugged into it. But once it's reminded of these two things, it still runs the one thing I keep it for totally stably. (Is 'stably' a word?)

I'm writing this on my M1 Air using Big Sur - and have no compulsion to 'upgrade' the OS.

Miles Fu

macrumors member
May 30, 2020
I just upgraded to 13.4.1 for my 2019 16' MBP, and so far so good. why I upgraded is there were some random reboots, not sure if this upgrade will solve the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.