Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linxy33

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
anyone else..

Apple has been full of surprises for 2019. I get a feeling like we are literally about to see a 2019 MacBook pro within the next 7 days. Apple knows how much its hurting to have a hurting 2018 machine still selling and how behind the curve they are.. among other reasons..

maybe not.. maybe.. more to come.. more to come
(stradman reference 2019.)

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
anyone else..

Apple has been full of surprises for 2019. I get a feeling like we are literally about to see a 2019 MacBook pro within the next 7 days. Apple knows how much its hurting to have a hurting 2018 machine still selling and how behind the curve they are.. among other reasons..

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Windows machine. $700 discount on a system that blows the doors off of Apple's 2018 model. Could Apple come back with something at WWDC to rival it? I just have a lot of strong doubts that that will happen. No rumors on a keyboard fix is a big problem. Sure, 16 or 16.5 screen would be very nice. But I'd want the keyboard issues and the other little issues fixed as well. And I just can't see them doing that. If they came out with a 2015 model refresh - I could go for that. At the moment, I'm feeling that it's too little, too late.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
They are definitely catching the heat from the keyboard issues at the moment. Personally I hope they do release a new MacBook Pro, I highly doubt it will be in the next 7 days, IF it’s a redesign with a 16” screen. Apple loves to show off new devices and redesigns at keynotes. WWDC could be an option tho.

From what reliable sources have been saying (Ming Chi Kuo and so on) is that there will be a redesign of the MacBook Pro with a 16” - 16.5” display. The 13” MacBook Pro may get 32GB Ram option according to Kuo.

Reactions: nouveau_redneck

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Apple has been full of surprises for 2019. I get a feeling like we are literally about to see a 2019 MacBook pro within the next 7 days.

With what hardware exactly? Apple relies on other companies to supply CPUs, GPUs, RAM etc. There is not a single chip on the market right now they could update the MBP with. And for all we know, volume availability of new-gen components won't happen before late autumn.

Reactions: jerryk

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
They are definitely catching the heat from the keyboard issues at the moment. Personally I hope they do release a new MacBook Pro, I highly doubt it will be in the next 7 days, IF it’s a redesign with a 16” screen. Apple loves to show off new devices and redesigns at keynotes. WWDC could be an option tho.

From what reliable sources have been saying (Ming Chi Kuo and so on) is that there will be a redesign of the MacBook Pro with a 16” - 16.5” display. The 13” MacBook Pro may get 32GB Ram option according to Kuo.

The industry is moving on. The laptops that I'm looking at are available with up to 128 GB of RAM and have four DIMM slots. So I could buy 16 or 32 now and add more at my leisure. Everyone has a 17.3 inch display with a 4K option too. Apple locking down the hardware takes away your options unless you want to risk the warranty or Apple Care.

Reactions: Queen6

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
The industry is moving on. The laptops that I'm looking at are available with up to 128 GB of RAM and have four DIMM slots. So I could buy 16 or 32 now and add more at my leisure. Everyone has a 17.3 inch display with a 4K option too. Apple locking down the hardware takes away your options unless you want to risk the warranty or Apple Care.

Yea but those machines run Windows. 4K on a laptop is a battery hog. Apple need to fix the keyboard issues tho. Who knows maybe the rumoured 16” Pro will have higher specs. Apple will not allow anyone to open up a MacBook and add more Ram, SSD’s or anything like that. I think those days are gone.

Reactions: twanj

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
anyone else..

No, they are still dependent on Intel to supply the processors and there is currently nothing to upgrade the 13" model with. There are upgrades available for the 15" model, but it's nothing big. With (Intel) Ice Lake on the Horizon, shipping around Q3 I expect the next MBP model to coincide with general availability of those chips. It should come with a big boost to the GPU making it a worthwhile upgrade.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Yea but those machines run Windows. 4K on a laptop is a battery hog. Apple need to fix the keyboard issues tho. Who knows maybe the rumoured 16” Pro will have higher specs. Apple will not allow anyone to open up a MacBook and add more Ram, SSD’s or anything like that. I think those days are gone.

My model would be one Mac (2015) and one Windows. I can partition my workloads between two machines.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

I suspect these machines are quite a bit heavier and bulkier than a MacBook. Workstation level laptops have always existed, but MacBook and MacBook Pros cater to a different market, where size and weight do matter.

Reactions: Dave245

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
They are definitely catching the heat from the keyboard issues at the moment.

I don't think they're catching enough heat, actually. The coverage in the tech media is still minimal, with only a few outspoken critics. This is nothing like the Antennagate situation where it was so loud and sustained -- understandable, since the MBP is nowhere near as popular as the iPhone was. The fact that the guy who recently published that biography of Cook actually defended the keyboard in these forums was jaw-dropping, but I think there are still plenty of people who are either unaware of the issues or are trying to defend Apple over the indefensible design.

I don't know what it will take to get Apple to give up on this horrid design -- they can be very stubborn at times.

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2018
Shoot, I feel as if I've been living in 2019 for 5 months.

I don't think Apple cares about the MBP anymore. If they did, they'd stop aiming for razor thin and start looking at making a quality machine again.

The only thing that will get Apple to make a quality MBP is if everybody just stops buying Apple laptops because of the keyboard/display/overheating/under-performing/lack of repairability issues.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I suspect these machines are quite a bit heavier and bulkier than a MacBook. Workstation level laptops have always existed, but MacBook and MacBook Pros cater to a different market, where size and weight do matter.

They are. But if you are a professional and you need the horsepower, cooling, RAM and storage, then these machines make your decision a lot easier - if you can run on Windows. I'd argue that Apple should be in this space. Their iMacs are similarly spec'd with the max memory at 128 GB. They make it easy to upgrade on the 2019 iMac too. The 2019 iMac is where they should be moving to with their MacBook Pros. I do think that Apple could succeed in the mobile workstation market - lots of pro would go there instead of the thin and light designs and they could put in a real keyboard.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I don't think they're catching enough heat, actually. The coverage in the tech media is still minimal, with only a few outspoken critics. This is nothing like the Antennagate situation where it was so loud and sustained -- understandable, since the MBP is nowhere near as popular as the iPhone was. The fact that the guy who recently published that biography of Cook actually defended the keyboard in these forums was jaw-dropping, but I think there are still plenty of people who are either unaware of the issues or are trying to defend Apple over the indefensible design.

I don't know what it will take to get Apple to give up on this horrid design -- they can be very stubborn at times.

They definitely need to fix the issues on the keyboard. The actual feel of the keys, I don’t mind as I do think they are more accurate to type on. My issue is with the failure of the keys! Apple need to sort it.

The problem is we don’t know the failure rate numbers/%. If it’s a high enough number and Apple are having to replace the keyboards, it’s costing them money and I’m sure Apple will want to release a fix via a new design or whatever way they decide to do so. No one knows the failure rates of the 2018 butterfly keyboard.

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
I hope the redesign is soon. Although, I'm not sure what they can do that would really get pro users satisfied. Apple is too stubborn to return to older configurations (in my opinion) when it comes to hardware. I would love the old keyboard back along with MagSafe. I could live with the larger trackpad which is sometimes actually quite useful. If they re-released an updated version of the 2015 (maybe a little thinner / lighter?) And replaced TB2 with TB3, I would pre-order the same day it was announced.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Apple never looks backwards - they removed the floppy drive too soon (Bondi Blue iMac), then removed the optical drive too soon (different Macs, depending on which line you look at - Retina MBP caused a lot of shouting). They certainly removed USB-A and HDMI too soon (2016 MBP). In each case, they've simply stuck their fingers in their ears to block out the shouting and waited for the world to catch up. In each case, they were right in the end - premature for sure, but they correctly predicted where the industry was heading.

They're not going to give us back USB-A and HDMI, just when USB-C is becoming more standard, and the 2016 port configuration more palatable.

They may (probably will) move on the keyboard, but they'll portray it as a move forward. It won't be the old keyboard back, but some new mechanism.

Their next move on charging will be something inductive, and it'll come to the lightest MacBook first. Inductive charging may come with ARM processors (which will reduce power consumption).

Reactions: jerryk

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
I hate to be the damper on all of this, but based on Apple’s release cycle for the MBP, it is unlikely that they will release a new model before July. I want an upgrade just as bad, if not more than the rest of y’all, but I just don’t see that happening till around mid July.

A redesign is possible, but also not likely since they redesign the MBP roughly every four years which would be 2020. An additional reason to support my theory is the fact that we still have yet to see 10nm processor chips from intel available for Macs. Without these chips, it is highly improbable that Apple would redesign their MBP series.

There is always a chance that 2019 will see a major redesign for MBP, but I am inclined to believe that 2020 will be the year for the MBP. Time will tell if that is the case.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I hate to be the damper on all of this, but based on Apple’s release cycle for the MBP, it is unlikely that they will release a new model before July. I want an upgrade just as bad, if not more than the rest of y’all, but I just don’t see that happening till around mid July.

A redesign is possible, but also not likely since they redesign the MBP roughly every four years which would be 2020. An additional reason to support my theory is the fact that we still have yet to see 10nm processor chips from intel available for Macs. Without these chips, it is highly improbable that Apple would redesign their MBP series.

There is always a chance that 2019 will see a major redesign for MBP, but I am inclined to believe that 2020 will be the year for the MBP. Time will tell if that is the case.

I think that it's too soon as well. Look at the 2019 Mini and 2019 iMac - spec bumps - no redesign. Granted they were very nice spec bumps but still old designs that made people happy. Now a 2015 MBP with a spec bump would get my attention and it would be easy for Apple to do. But that would mean admitting that they goofed the past three years and they're too proud to do that.

Reactions: theapplehead

twanj

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
The fact that the guy who recently published that biography of Cook actually defended the keyboard in these forums was jaw-dropping, but I think there are still plenty of people who are either unaware of the issues or are trying to defend Apple over the indefensible design.

Where was that? I'm kinda curious to read it.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Even if the 16+" redesign is launched in a few weeks, it will probably be obscenely priced enough that whether to pull the trigger will still be a head-scratcher.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Even if the 16+" redesign is launched in a few weeks, it will probably be obscenely priced enough that whether to pull the trigger will still be a head-scratcher.

Most won't pull the trigger without some assurance that the thing is reliable. One thing that customers used to take for granted. Apple will have to win back trust.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Most won't pull the trigger without some assurance that the thing is reliable. One thing that customers used to take for granted. Apple will have to win back trust.

Long earned and easily burned. I do QA/QC for a living and in no shape or form am I going to be Apple's Guinea Pig. They have all the resources to fully qualify a product. Most concerning to me why Apple didn't do this in the first place, it can only be an assumption, however Apple wanted to save cost and rush to market and it's corporate hubris prevents and realistic fix.

MR 2008 - 2016 hardly any negative towards the MBP keyboard, 2016 onwards, very different story now. Cut to the chase, I'm not overly interested to sink money into products that are over emphasised and under deliver. At the end of the day Apple broke the trust. $700 to replace a keyboard speaks volumes, regarding Apple's intentions towards it's customers...

Q-6
[doublepost=1558123168][/doublepost]

At this point in time I just think it will be another FarceBook, all show and no go. I'd be happy to be proved wrong, equally expectations are in the gutter...

Q-6

whg

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Switzerland
I'm always excited at what Apple reveals for the Mac, unfortunately in recent years this has only induced disappointment, nor encouraged this trend will change anytime soon...

Q-6
If you say "Mac", I would like to point out that the Mac mini 2018 and the iMac 2019 are quite remarkable. I recently got the i7 Mac mini, upgraded the RAM myself to 32GB, added a Thunderbolt external 2TB SSD and an eGPU.

I now run my physical modelling software on the mini and check the progress etc. by remote control when not in the home office. For remote control I use Jump Desktop, which even runs on my iPad.

As long as I have an Internet connection I no longer need a powerful notebook, but this only works well for stuff that doesn't need lots of graphics, such as video editing, of course.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
If you say "Mac", I would like to point out that the Mac mini 2018 and the iMac 2019 are quite remarkable. I recently got the i7 Mac mini, upgraded the RAM myself to 32GB, added a Thunderbolt external 2TB SSD and an eGPU.

I now run my physical modelling software on the mini and check the progress etc. by remote control when not in the home office. For remote control I use Jump Desktop, which even runs on my iPad.

As long as I have an Internet connection I no longer need a powerful notebook, but this only works well for stuff that doesn't need lots of graphics, such as video editing, of course.

See post number 17.

It would be great to throw a modern CPU, GPU and add USB C ports and put 32 GB of RAM in a 2015 chassis. But that would be admitting that they were wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.