iPad I get an additional 12gb to tether per month through my carrier. Worth getting cellular model?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Scarlet Siren, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Scarlet Siren macrumors regular

Scarlet Siren

Hi all,

Quick question, my carrier lets me tether 12gb a month in addition to my unlimited (all you can eat) data plan, do you think it would still be worth getting a cellular iPad model?

Not sure what 12gb would equate to in terms of streaming and browsing. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. MrGuder macrumors 68020

3. Scarlet Siren thread starter macrumors regular

Scarlet Siren

Three in the UK.

4. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I always buy the data model for the gps capabilities and the convenience of not having to depend on a tether source. LTE is so much faster than wifi for me that tethering doesn't feel like an option.

5. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

For me it always depends on how coverage is with my phone carrier. I have T-Mobile here in the US and they can be quite crap in the country or places I vacation. Therefore I don't rely on the tethering. I just get the cellular model and select the carrier that performs the best where I know T-Mobile doesn't.

Also, don't have to worry about my phone battery and tethering this way.

6. Sarah Jones 799 macrumors member

Sarah Jones 799

12gb is quite a bit of data to use it's depends how you use it video streaming and youtube take a lot of data. I hate tethering it drains your phone battery too quickly.

7. Scarlet Siren thread starter macrumors regular

Scarlet Siren

Thank you all. Draining the phone battery would be quite annoying. I guess it would make more sense to get cellular for the flexibility.

8. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

Depends on your usage and what's nearby....if you have your phone by you and on the same carrier, it might not hurt to tether. Unless you're watching movies and videos all the time/always on the go or traveling to places with no power sources or wifi, it may be sufficient to tether from your phone and get a non cellular model.