(I get an error message) 4VDC/1/40000003: VideoController

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stervochka911, Apr 11, 2009.

1. stervochka911 macrumors newbie

My MBP crashed. I can turn it on only in a singe user mode.
    Somehow I got it to run the hardware test and it gave me this error code - 4VDC/1/40000003: VideoController .
    Will it be the video card?

Help Help Please.

2. hcgilje macrumors newbie

same problem on my MBP

I get the exact samme error on my MBP, after doing a software update, upgrading to 10.5.6.
    Did you resolve this?

hc

3. Naeim macrumors newbie

I've got the same error...

Code:
    Alert! Apple Hardware Test has detected an error
    4VDC/1/40000003:videocontroller
    pass number:1,
    Total Time Testing:1 Hour 0Min 57secs.
    any idea??
    macbook pro 2007 santa rosa 2,4

4. woodrowh macrumors newbie

Error

I had the same message last month. I took my MBP 2.2 to the apple store and they ran their own test. It was a bad logic board which apple replaced free. There was a problem with some of these logic boards and they extended coverage out ot two years, even without apple care. After they replace the logic board I took it home and ran another test and had an error so they replaced it once again and so far it is okay. Make sure you run the test again when you get it home or at the store when you pick it up.

5. woodrowh macrumors newbie

Ts2377

This is the link, even though I had no issues that I could see with the video card that is what they said was giving me the error while running the AHT.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

6. Naeim macrumors newbie

tnx dude ...

:apple:

7. Naeim macrumors newbie

is there anyway to repair this logic board ??

i can't take it to apple store ...

8. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

Call (800) 275 2273 and explain that you don't have any Apple Stores nearby and they can send you a box to send it to their repair center in Dallas, Texas.

9. Naeim macrumors newbie

tnx dude but i'm living in iran ... :(

next suggestion plz :D

10. nikhilno1, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

nikhilno1 macrumors newbie

Am I lucky or what

Have an MBP 15" purchased on 1-Oct-2007.
    Last week the screen started flickering after 10-15 mins of uptime eventually leading to a hang. After that it just stopped booting up, displaying a message in many languages that I should shut it down.
    Before that it gave an error saying something about NVRAM, so thought there is some hardware issue and took it to an authorized service center.
    He said it is an OS issue, so I told him in that case I can fix it myself (no need to pay a huge service fee).
    Came home, tried the H/W test and got this message:
    Apple Alert
    4VDC/1/40000003: VideoController

Quick google and found this link on apple support:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377
    It says " If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within four years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty"

And I am just about 2 months away from that.

Never felt so lucky :)

-Nikhil

11. Chilll macrumors newbie

Same error message 4VDC/1/40000003 videocontroller

My Macbook Pro was purchased in 2007.Now Im getting flckering,no response,locking up ( have to shutdown by pressing power button ) I had Mountain lion installed then loaded Yosemite thinking it would get better.It actually got worse..I formatted & reloaded Snow Leopard back in . That actually helped where it wasent getting as hot and shutting down and freezing as often....I called Apple and I was told" Your laptop is one of the problem ones even though it was purchased in 07 its still covered due to a problem with this model & others " I wont believe it until I go to the Apple store(which I have an appointment on Friday 3/6/15...and they tell me its covered. I will updated you guys as to the results.

12. Chilll macrumors newbie

UPDATE from the apple store

Whoever I called gave me the wrong information.I went to the apple store for them to tell me after 5 years your computer is considered vintage, obsolete that they no longer have parts for it..When I was told on the phone regardless of the age your computer is one of the affected ones its covered..Anyway
    today my macbook finally went to a black screen ,before that was flickering and freezing had to power off to shutdown.Before the black screen I did the hardware test. It came up with 4VDC/1/40000003VideoController fault.. . So today I took my macbook apart. Removed the logic board,cleaned off all the thermal compound off the heat sinks and the cpu , gpu and nvidea chips..My computer is 8 years old keep in mine and it was very clean in the inside..I then used my heatgun to heat up the nvidea chip and around the chip for about 40 seconds(heat gun goes up to 1000 watts.,had it turned down half way). after a couple of rounds of heating. I cooled it off then applied Artic Silver 5 thermal compound to the heat sinks and chips using very little,very thin.(too much caused overheating) just enought to cover the surface area's..I reassembled the Mac and started it up..Everything works..I then did the hardware test again..It came up with "NO TROUBLE FOUND"....Hopefully this will last.Maybe all that was needed was to replace the thermal compound that was on there.After all it was all dried up and flaking..Good luck guys...