I Get Charged Twice for ATM Fees

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by barr08, Aug 3, 2007.

1. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I was just looking at my Bank of America statement online, and I saw that whenever I withdrew from an ATM that isn't BOA, not only do I get charged the extra 2 dollars at the time of withdrawal, I also get charged an additional, seperate 2 dollars.

Debit Card Charge, Citizens Bank: $2.00
    in addition to
    Withdrawal, Citizens Bank: $22.00

The $2 extra on the $20 is supposed to be the fee!

Check your statements, does this happen to you?

:mad::confused::mad::mad:...:mad:

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

That's pretty standard. First the bank that owns the ATM takes 2$ from you, then your own bank takes another 2$ for using someone else's ATM. Everybody wants their own piece of the pie. Although it does a good job in making people look for their bank's ATM a little harder.

3. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Yep, that's pretty standard. Find a bank that has no atm surcharge.

For example, I use WaMu. They don't charge you if you withdraw from another bank's atm. The other bank will charge me the $2 (or whatever it is) but WaMu does not.

Take that even further and only use atms that don't have a surcharge. I only use the atm at my bank's branches, at WaWa (no atm surcharge and the bust subs ever!!!), or QuikChek.

4. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

Hmm, I had no idea that was the case. I thought the charge was just from the bank I was withdrawing from...That sucks.

Thanks for clarifying.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You can go one step better and use my bank, where they refund your account for any charges the other banks may have for using their atms. So, I never pay for any kind of charges, no matter where I go. Pretty sweet.

6. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I know a lot of people that use USAA for their bank (of course you have to be in the military or be the dependent of a military member) and not only do they not have a fee for using another bank's ATM, but they actually reimburse you for the other bank's ATM charge. For example if you use a Citizens bank ATM and they charge you $2 on a $20 withdrawl. USAA will give you a $2 credit when they take out the $22 withdrawl. I think they do this up to 10 times per month.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

see I just say screw ATM completely and when I go to a grocery store I get cash back. Mind you it has force me to make a early trip to pick up some food items but it is free from all sides.

8. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I do this a lot too. Sometimes I go a whole year without ever using an ATM

9. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

Yeah, I also do this whenever I can. I don't go grocery shopping, though, so it is limited to convenience stores.

10. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Yep, you aren't being charged twice by the same bank, you are being charged once by each of the two banks involved in the transaction. There has been a movement in Congress for the past couple of years to put a stop to this, but it hasn't happened yet.

11. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Yeah it's great, actually - the downside is, of course, that they don't have any ATMs of their own, and that their only physical bank branch is in San Antonio, TX, so deposits have to be done by mail most of the time. It's kind of a pain.

12. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Bank of America is horrible anyway. I find Citizens to be much friendlier and their statements, checks, etc read so much easier and are aesthetically better.

As for ATM fees, I never carry cash anyway. I tend to charge or debit everything, that way I have an extensive log of my purchases. The exception would be the daily trip to Starbucks.

13. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Seems pretty unfair to me. In the UK you never have to pay to use another banks cash machine. No matter who your bank is or which bank you are withdrawing from it is always free. There are some cash machines that are not run by the banks and you have to pay for them, they are quite rare though.