I get the 6S because Apple dropped the headphone jack

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CmdrLaForge, Oct 25, 2016.

1. CmdrLaForge, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016

CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

And I actually would really prefer the 7 from the looks and everything else but there is one application that I use on a regular basis which just doesn't work with the 7 and that is that I play my guitar through my iphone using apps like ampkit or AmpliTube. I use an interface called irig pro which plugs on one side in the guitar and on the other side goes into the iphone into the lightning port.

Now the reason is to play silently because if I want to play loud I use a real Fender Amp of course. So I have to plug in as well my headset in the iphone and do not want to use its speakers. With the lightning port in use by the the interface there is no place to plug the headphones in on an iphone 7 because there is no port anymore. I tried to go over Bluetooth but I do not get any sound at all. If I would manage to get some sound over Bluetooth I would expect too much delay. But as of now I am out of luck. Ok - rant over. I am also posting this to dig the brains in this forum as usually someone might come up with a smart solution that I haven't thought of and I might be able to get the iphone 7 after all.

2. beernut macrumors 6502

3. noobinator macrumors 601

Good job getting the phone that is right for you!

4. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I returned my iPhone 7+ after two weeks, and while I miss things like the telephoto lense and the solid-state home button, one thing that I was glad to come back to was having the audio jack.

I understand that it's never coming back (I personally believe this was primarily a money grab), but maybe we'll get two lightening ports eventually. If that happens, then I'm good.

5. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

6. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

This could work. Even so it says it is for charging and listning at the same time. What I need is input and output of audio. Its a lot of money to buy all of this to try out. Maybe someone did?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 25, 2016 ---
    Of course I do but my point is more that I would prefer the 7 because it is the latest, can last me longer with the A10, is water proof, to me looks better and so on. But if I cannot use it for what I want to all that is pretty pointless, isn't it.

7. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

I say, but the adapter, bring your equipment to an apple store and try it out. If it works, walk away with a 7, if it doesn't you are out $40, which you can sell to someone locally for $20 making you only lose 1/2 and someone else happy.

8. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Actually a really good idea. I buy the adapter from Amazon and try it with my iPhone 5. On top I need to buy a $9 adapter from Apple. If it doesn't work I send them both back. Unfortunately there is no better way then trying these things myself.

9. evoga macrumors member

evoga

Remember when phones used to have a separate old fashioned radio in them. No one misses that now and in time no one will miss the old headphone jack.

10. Savor Suspended

Savor

A9 chip isn't that much of downgrade considering iPhone 6s still topped every 2016 Android flagship. Apple is a year ahead with the SoC.

I do think the matte black iPhone 7 looks better than space gray 6s but the latter doesn't attract smudges as much. People will eventually get tired cleaning off the matte black 7 while the space gray can look mostly pristine. Anything with gray and silver resist fingerprints better than anything black whether matte or glossy.

11. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or when every car came with a cassette tape deck :D
    Technology evolves.
    The faster you accept and adopt to new standards the better off you'll be.

13. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

There were iphone models that came with radios, but we never had access to them...

Although I do not listen to regular radio much, it would be nice if iphones had HD radio in them.

14. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I actually opted for Silver for my iPhone 7 and it's not now my favorite color. I had Space Gray for years and the silver with white bezel is my new standard. I love the brushed aluminum look. Classy.

15. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Most of my local stations has streaming apps that I use to listen to the radio anyway. Works great. Might burn through your data though if you don't have access to unlimited.

16. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

This is true in big markets (I live in the biggest), but there still are tons of people with iDevices living outside of major markets. But, I get not getting built in radios as these phone get smaller and smaller.

It is understandable that people will complain about the loss of the 3.5mm port. I haven't used on in a long time (I have an aftermarket carplay head unit in my vehicle, so it is plugged in or bluetooth when not). They are going to complain because this is the year of cost to them... Apple is forcing them to spend more money than usual, just because the customer decided to upgrade.

17. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I guess you simply didn't read my initial post and therefore don't understand the conundrum.