Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
All I can say is that "I'm glad to hear that!"

picture1xc6.png

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Yeah, I get similar spam all the time.

While we're on the subject of those kinds of ads, I found this funny:

20071029.jpg

astrostu

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
That's nothing. Penis-enhancement spam is old news (though that's a fairly involved ad).

I get spam that quotes Bible versus claiming the Universe will end.

I get spam with multiple sections and sub-sections and sub-sub-sections about how Joseph Smith (founder of Mormon church) was a whore-loving boozer.

Etc.

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.
Umm, point missed methinks?

I think everyone missed the OP's point.

Which was that it's Penis Enlargement spam with a headline of 'Get a Daily Dose'.

In England, 'a Dose' refers to a Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD).

I got it OP. Noooo, not an STD, the joke!

Cheers.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I think everyone missed the OP's point.

Which was that it's Penis Enlargement spam with a headline of 'Get a Daily Dose'.

In England, 'a Dose' refers to a Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD).

I got it OP. Noooo, not an STD, the joke!

Cheers.

Haha, never heard the term used in that way before!

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
3.02 Inches, you say?

Not 3 - but 3.02???

Well, I guess if you're in the position to think you need this product, every .02 counts. :p

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'm not sure what's worse, the spam I get, or the crap my parents forward me. They send me every single chain mail they get...."Bill Gates will pay you $100 for each person you forward this to," "some kid is dying of cancer and forwarding this e-mail will cure it," "cell phone numbers not added to the do-not-call list will get telemarketer calls all day long," "if someone flashes their headlights at you, drive away quickly, it's a gang member," "don't open your e-mail, there's a virus going around that will destroy your computer, you don't even have to open the attachment!" I could go on and on and on with the crap I get.

The spam is easy, I can just delete it. But the parents, no.....I have to lecture them on how Bill Gates has no idea how many people this e-mail was forwarded to, and if he did, he wouldn't pay you, e-mails don't cure cancer, it's illegal for telemarketers to call cell phones, gang members have better things to do than flash headlights at people, and that there's no such thing as a virus that will run and infect your system without opening it, and if there was, it still wouldn't matter because we both use Macs and they don't get viruses. Then, once that's done, I have to explain why someone would make this crap up, and just because it's on the internet, doesn't mean it's true.

I'd still rather delete a couple penis e-mails than deal with their crap. And if you actually read the penis e-mails, some of them can be rather humorous. I was nearly on the floor laughing when I got an e-mail stating that their medicine will allow you to use your penis as a pool cue. If my penis was small, and I took this miracle pill that made it a foot long, the last thing I'd do is go use it as a pool cue.

And according to another e-mail, my wife was banging the pool boy because she wasn't satisfied with my penis size. That's funny....I didn't know I had a wife, a pool, or a pool boy. Or a small penis for that matter :D

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
:p

This one made me laugh:

This is to inform that your email have been selected for a cash prize of
£300,000.00 (Three Hundred Thousand Great British Pounds) and a brand
new Peugeot 407 Car,From the International online programs held today
in London the United Kingdom.

Ayeees, I think I'll go and collect my money tomorrow :rolleyes:

da2005pizimp

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2006
Gilbert, AZ
My question is in this day in age with all the spam and scammers out there is there still anyone who falls for this stuff? I mean there are even commercials about this. I just think that if everyone were to just think before they act then there wouldn't be as many issues with this.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
there's no such thing as a virus that will run and infect your system without opening it, and if there was, it still wouldn't matter because we both use Macs and they don't get viruses.

Technically true in that virus code has to be executed in order to deploy, but it's no longer the case that you, the user, have to open a binary attachment in order to make it work. I took this stance too, up until sometime in 2001, when my workplace network was infected with NIMDA. I remember the exact moment my PC was hit, as the hard drive suddenly started thrashing to the point the PC was unusable. The virus came in by way of some exploit to do with network shares, through no action of my own.

And anyone who has jailbroken an iPod or iPhone using the TIFF exploit knows how easy it is to run "unexpected" code simply by loading a picture into a browser.

But yes, Macs, so far, don't get viruses for OS X.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
The virus came in by way of some exploit to do with network shares, through no action of my own.

In this situation, though, one person on the network still had to get the virus through a traditional means before it started spreading itself.
And anyone who has jailbroken an iPod or iPhone using the TIFF exploit knows how easy it is to run "unexpected" code simply by loading a picture into a browser.

That is true, but IIRC few viruses spread in such a manner. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that vulnerability Safari-specific, and aren't such vulnerabilities patched pretty quick once a virus actually starts hitting in the wild?

astrostu

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
My question is in this day in age with all the spam and scammers out there is there still anyone who falls for this stuff? I mean there are even commercials about this. I just think that if everyone were to just think before they act then there wouldn't be as many issues with this.

Yes. There have been some relatively recent Judge Judy episodes (Yay YouTube!) of one person suing another because they cashed a scammer's check at the bank and later the bank realized it was fake and deducted it from their account.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
\\ Wishful Thinking

Another 3.02" and I'll need a permit to carry this thing around.

// Wishful Thinking

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I use .Mac email too and I never get spam:confused: Did you sign up for things?

EDIT: oh, you use Gmail? That's why you get spam. :p

EDIT2: If you open your spam, they will send you more. DON'T open it.

(I hope I don't get to "EDIT3")

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
I'm fortunate to have SpamAssassin on my mail server. I can make my own server-side filters based on the headers that this application creates with incoming mail and re-route the crap. Heh. I use Entourage to catch all the mail I redirect :D Mail.app only gets maybe one every other day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.