Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsbenawhile

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2011
on my hard drive. i have really only downloaded music. on iTunes it says 7.9 then on my mac somewhere around 14. then i realized i had double flies of my music. i didn't know i didn't have to also save on desktop. so just drag to iTunes and it save it? but on space for my hard drive...OTHER it says some 28.9 gigs. where is this from. i have download only a few apps and there have a space to show for apps. I'm just a little confused if someone could help explain. thanks very much

BrickbookPro

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
on my hard drive. i have really only downloaded music. on iTunes it says 7.9 then on my mac somewhere around 14. then i realized i had double flies of my music. i didn't know i didn't have to also save on desktop. so just drag to iTunes and it save it? but on space for my hard drive...OTHER it says some 28.9 gigs. where is this from. i have download only a few apps and there have a space to show for apps. I'm just a little confused if someone could help explain. thanks very much
Ummm what? I'm a little confused now.

itsbenawhile

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2011
lol sorry. long story short, i don't have much of anything on my mac yet. but on my hard drive it shows i have "other" space filled....28.9 some gigs. I'm trying ti figure what the hell it is.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Take a look at DiskInventory X, OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report or GrandPerspective to see where your HDD space went to.

Btw, when you import music into iTunes, it gets copied (thus duplicated) into the Music folder, thus the double amount of disk capacity taken.
You can disable that via this:

Screen%20shot%202011-10-05%20at%202.47.21%20PM.png

itsbenawhile

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2011
Take a look at DiskInventory X, OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report or GrandPerspective to see where your HDD space went to.

Btw, when you import music into iTunes, it gets copied (thus duplicated) into the Music folder, thus the double amount of disk capacity taken.
You can disable that via this:

i like the fact it copies them. so i can have a no music file on my destop. I'm scared on how i would back it all up.

so i figured since i erased all my doubles on my desktop they were in trash....that took care of 20 gigs :) but there still are about 9 gigs left. what could it be?

Nov 28, 2010
located
i like the fact it copies them. so i can have a no music file on my destop. I'm scared on how i would back it all up.

so i figured since i erased all my doubles on my desktop they were in trash....that took care of 20 gigs :) but there still are about 9 gigs left. what could it be?

That's why I linked you to four applications, but now I presume you use Lion, so only the last three of them will work. Maybe they can show you where the 9GB are gone to?

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, as the current one does not correspond with your post, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the
MR_Edit_GoAdvanced_button.png
button below your message.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario

if you use Time Machine it could be your local snapshots

itsbenawhile

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2011
i do not use any type of back up isn't that what time machine is? i don't have a lot of movies or other type of files. only thing it could be is album digital booklets. but i don't think 9 gigs worth. lol I'm just wondering what it could be

Nov 28, 2010
located
i do not use any type of back up isn't that what time machine is? i don't have a lot of movies or other type of files. only thing it could be is album digital booklets. but i don't think 9 gigs worth. lol I'm just wondering what it could be

Why not use one of the applications I linked to to find out instead of guessing?

Maybe you have a lot of RAM and as you put your Mac to sleep, the contents of the RAM will be copied to the HDD and create a sleepimage file, which will be 4GB big when you have 4GB RAM, thus it could be 8GB in size when you have 8GB RAM.
Again, to find out where the HDD capacity went to, you can use one of the applications to I linked to earlier in my first post.

itsbenawhile

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2011
Why not use one of the applications I linked to to find out instead of guessing?

Maybe you have a lot of RAM and as you put your Mac to sleep, the contents of the RAM will be copied to the HDD and create a sleepimage file, which will be 4GB big when you have 4GB RAM, thus it could be 8GB in size when you have 8GB RAM.
Again, to find out where the HDD capacity went to, you can use one of the applications to I linked to earlier in my first post.

get one of those apps? how do i use it? sorry I'm a noob

Nov 28, 2010
located
get one of those apps? how do i use it? sorry I'm a noob

You download OmniDiskSweeper for instance (I assume you can download), install it (Installing Applications in Mac OS X) and open it. Then you select the HDD (Macintosh HD or whatever the name is) and let it calculate/sweep the HDD. When it is finished, you will be able to see, the biggest folders and files.

And also have a look here to learn more about Mac OS X:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.