I give, I give! Trying to get SheepShaver running

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lomoco, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Lomoco macrumors newbie

I've successfully managed to get BasiliskII running without too many hitches. I was able to dig up an old Quadra 650 ROM that works with it. However, I am wanting to run at LEAST OS version 8. BasiliskII only goes up to OS7, which is fine for playing the first Taskmaker, but apparently, not for Tomb Of The Taskmaker (TOTT), as any extraction attempts of the TOTT archive package doesn't give me the game, it gives me unrecognized files that try to open in SimpleText. Assume that I do not have convenient access to a classic PCI PowerMac.

Any helpful hints/walkthroughs? I'm guessing that if I could only obtain a 4mb pci powermac rom, then I'd be good to go.

(For those interested in helping me getting TOTT running on OS7, I'm running it under 7.5.5 using Stuffit Expander 5.5 for extraction of the downloaded TOTT files, with a Quadra 650 ROM)

2. iMouse macrumors regular

Resource Forks Missing/Damaged?

Could possibly be that the resource forks on the files in the archive are damaged.

Even if the application needed Mac OS 8 to run, the application would still be a 68k, PPC or FAT binary application to the operating system. Whether it would open or not is a matter if the architecture is supported.

Now that I think of it, I have SheepShaver running on my iMac. There's a loophole in one of the Mac OS Updates where the Mac OS ROM v1.0 (G3 Yosemite New World ROM) is packaged with the freely downloadable update and can be extracted and used for SheepShaver. I don't know how this works as far as legality, but the package is freely accessible and can be opened using an old app called TomeViewer.

3. iMouse macrumors regular

Found it. (You'll need to do all of this in BasiliskII if you don't have access to an old Mac)
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60408

Download TomeViewer from here:
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/4561

Extract Mac OS ROM v1.0 Update and point SheepShaver to it. You should be able to install Mac OS 8.6 or newer. I believe this New World ROM has a minimum OS of 8.6.

4. WatchSmart macrumors member