I Give Up! My Tale

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shadrap, Oct 5, 2011.

1. shadrap macrumors 6502

Well I lasted less than 24 hours on Android. I hate to admit it, but yesterday I pouted and threw a temper tantrum after the 4s announcement. So, I marched right down to the Verizon store and bought a Droid Bionic. " I will show Apple I thought".

The Bionic really isn't a bad device. I liked the customization and it is a fast phone, great sized screen, battery life is decent, and LTE is phenomenal.

But:

Visual voicemail: cost $2.99 a month on Android devices, sure you can do the Google Voice work around, but why should you have to? To match iCloud you already have to do several work arounds. I was not going to do it for Visual Voicemail also.

Camera: I do not care what anyone says the camera is horrible. The manager tried to argue that point with me when I returned it. So, we did a comparison and that was the end of that.

In the end: The iPhone works. Everything that it does it does well. Android has come a long way, but it still is not quite there. I have learned my lesson and will be ordering the 4s and will enjoy all the things my iPhone does without much thought or effort. I hope this saves some people there time and money.

By the way: I had a meeting last week with a Verizon Wireless Executive. I was privy to a little bit of info. The reason they push Android so hard is because they make a lot more from it. In fact, they make almost double what they do from Apple. You could since a real disliking for all things Apple. He even made the statement that he wished he knew what they put in that Kool Aide. He said just to put the Apple displays in their stores it cost $2,000 for each display and they had to be stand alone and not near anything else. So, Android is pushed by executives from the top down, no wonder it shows in the stores.

2. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Bionic, outside of LTE, isn't very good from what I've seen.

I use google voice on my iPhone...not sure I'd call it a 'workaround'. Free texting and it transcribes voicemails. I can text from my computer, view and listen to the voicemails from my computer.

Very handy system.

3. shadrap thread starter macrumors 6502

Its a work around to have your missed calls forwarded to your Google Voice number. This is the only way you can get free visual voicemail on Verizon Android Phones.

4. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Using Google Voice is not a "work around", it's the proper way to do visual voicemail in Android.
    A rather nice way at that.
    I get an email transcript of the message along with the recording.
    That way I can read the message if I'm in a situation where listening to one is not possible.
    Granted it's not 100% accurate (but is improving) and leads to a few laughs, but you get the gist of it.

5. 73CortinaV8 macrumors 6502

I think your tale will be a common one. People will run to Android and then realize how unpolished it is next to ios

6. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Well, that's one of 2 things. A. You have it set up differently than you would like to have it set up. B. It's a Verizon issue.

Has nothing to do with Android itself. My Google # doesn't receive calls unless someone dials my google number directly.

----------

His issues had nothing to do with Android. If camera is important to you, check out several phones cameras before deciding. And I already explained google voice. Which is a fantastic service if you bother to take 10 minutes to figure out how it all works.

7. blacka4 macrumors 6502

i use google voice as well for visual voicemail. no work around needed. people can call my google number or my regular cell number and I would get a text message transcriping the message, a email with a recording, and I can listen to the voicemail on my computer where ever I'm at. I disabled the text and email portion since i get a notification in the voice app on the phone.

8. Macguy76 macrumors regular

Macguy76

All Forgiven...

Don't be too hard on yourself. You got mad, had a fling for 24 hours and are back to old faithful.

We can always forgive, but never forget.

By the way I am talking about a Droid Bionic purchase over an iPhone...just incase anyone was wondering.:)

9. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Don't you just hate all the extra features GV gives you?!

10. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I guess if one doesn't want to work with google products (given what we know about their plans for our info), then an Android device isn't much of an option.

11. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I've had a couple of flings with Android phones, but they lasted considerably longer than 24 hours. I understand your experience, though. It's like that old saying, "you usually don't appreciate something until it's gone".

At first, I thought that the Android phones I'd got were awesome, but I slowly started wanting my iPhone back. As Apple likes to stress, it's all about the user experience (the overall one), and the iPhone's is the best one out there.