Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexjones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2010
I received my Mac book pro on Thursday afternoon and have no issues except for Bootcamp. I have tried to install Windows 7 via full version windows dvd. After i partition my SSD and windows installs setup file, The Boot camp partition says that Windows cannot be installed on this partition, even after i format it. Any advice?

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
I had this problem installing off a USB. There is a bug in the install bit from memory if you swap ports it should work. Google the issue and you'll find your answer.

TigerMe

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2011
Parallels

Given the advancements in VM technology - particularly Parallels, I can't think of a reason to run bootcamp. A VM does everything these days and saves you the boot trouble.

Just my opinion.

zOlid

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
Given the advancements in VM technology - particularly Parallels, I can't think of a reason to run bootcamp. A VM does everything these days and saves you the boot trouble.

Just my opinion.

It cant do anything.......
Except: Run windows with out having to have OSX loaded and running, taking up performance.
And many install windows to be able to play games and such, and doing that over parallels defeats the whole idea.

There are many other reasons to. But this is probably the two main ones.

Scott7975

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
I had to download an ISO. I don't have a optical drive. The first 2 I downloaded, bootcamp kept telling me it wasn't 64 bit and wouldn't load it. They were indeed 64 bit. I read somewhere it may have been a 32/64 bit combo download, so bootcamp got confused. I tried 1 last time to download another one and it worked flawless. The one that worked flawless was from the same link as one that didn't, so I don't know why one worked and one didn't. Maybe the first time it got corrupted is my only guess.

Anyhow... I had no trouble at all once I got past the 64 bit problem.

As for the guy that says just use parallels... I initially tried that first and it just didn't look very good. It was blurry and sometimes slow. Bootcamp looks great and works fast. It eats battery but it works just like I was on a windows machine.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Have a look at the forums.
There are sometimes ways around it but for the moment Boot Camp seems to be broken for Haswell Macs.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I recommend bootcamp for native speeds. I have a new macbook pro retina 15", and I'm running windows 8.1 with no issues.

sabbyp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2013
well I can think of one huge advantage for bootcamp - it runs games at native speed.

vmware doesn't.....:rolleyes:

I just hit the format button (looks like an eraser) when the win 7 installer says it cannot install to that partition. Worked fine and continued with the installation.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
I give up on Bootcamp

well I can think of one huge advantage for bootcamp - it runs games at native speed.

vmware doesn't.....:rolleyes:

I just hit the format button (looks like an eraser) when the win 7 installer says it cannot install to that partition. Worked fine and continued with the installation.

That tripped me up the first time as well. If the format doesn't work though you may be SOL.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
I've been using Vmware Fusion for years but I may bootcamp my machine soon as I'll be needing the native speeds for a couple of new programs I'll start to use. Otherwise VMware is great.

That said, it all comes down to what you need Windows on your mac for.

AppleWindowsFan

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013
Ohio USA
I use Virtual Box. I don't play a lot of games, but I do code for a living, so I run Visual Studio and SQL Server Management Studio.

A virtual machine seems to run Windows 8.1 with no problems.

Last edited:

TheSlimOne

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
When I bootcamped my SSD. I could not get win7 to install onto the SSD when it was installed in the optibay. It had to go in the HDD bay. I tried everything I could think. I even bootcamped it in the HHD and moved it to the optibay. It wouldn't boot when I did it that way. So my current setup which is a little annoying is this

250g SSD partitioned at 80g for win7 and the rest for osx

then the 500g is part in half for osx and half for win

osx uses the HDD for itunes and pictures mainly
windows uses the HDD for games (COD MW3, GHOSTS, BLACKOPS, ASSASSINS Creed etc etc)
So the SSD only has to concern itself with the operating systems for the most part.

I spent most of an entire day trying to get it setup and this is what I ended up with

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
I had no issues.

I DL the legal copy from Microsoft (X17-24395) 100% legal BUT MUST BE ACTIVATED within 3 days. I Just used the code for the retail copy I bought.

I went to BC manager.

I created a USB install.

It formatted my16GB USB stick and dl windows files needed.

I Split the 1TB 50/50

It restarted my MB.

Got to the select HDD screen to install and formatted the section labeled boot camp.

Installed no problem.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
You need to use Windows 7 SP1 image to create the bootable USB, then you're good to go.

http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

You can use your Windows 7 retail license key to activate, just grab the appropriate version for the license you have.

Also don't try UEFI install methods, just follow the Boot Camp assistant, format the partition when you need to, and it should install perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.