I got 99 problems...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by css136, Jan 22, 2009.

1. css136 macrumors member

I bought a MacBook Pro last March. 10 months later and it's had SO many problems, I can't believe it. Probably the most unreliable laptop I've ever bought (but I still love it for Mac OS X).

Here's the complete list:
    1) DVD drive skipped on brand new movies - had this replaced at the Apple Store
    2) The power cord has unraveled at both ends to the point where the conductive metal is exposed
    3) My battery has completely stopped working. If I leave my laptop unplugged, it will die without warning at 90% battery life.
    4) my screen has black vertical lines on it now (uneven backlit display? I have no idea at this point)
    5) The metal case shocks you if you put your wrist on it. And if you are touching the metal case and then you touch somebody else on the skin, it feels very rough (like electrical current is passing from the computer to your hand - very weird)
    6) I won't even mention the wireless signal! for some reason, my girlfriend's 4 year old $700 Dell laptop picks up better signals than my $2000+ brand new MacBook Pro.
    7) It basically runs way too hot

So anyway, the only problem I've had fixed is the DVD. The people at the Apple Store were really nice about it. The others have happened since I've been living in Europe, so without an Apple Care store, my options have been limited. Well it appears that I'll be making a trip to the USA very soon, so I'm wondering... what is the best thing for me to do about this? I only have the Apple Warranty and I'm just wondering what options I have to get my laptop fixed. It seems like there is an underlying problem (possibly that it runs too hot?) that is the root cause for all of these other problems. Is there a way for me to just get the entire thing replaced? Otherwise, I guess I will just take it to an Apple Store and explain EVERYTHING that is wrong with it?

Any advice and/or suggestions? Thanks everybody.

I don't mean to complain about Apple (I actually love my laptop to death) but the hardware reliability on this thing is a joke. I'm sorry if it came across the wrong way.

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

take your complaints to the apple store and hope they will exchange your computer or give you a new one

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Did you purchase it in the U.S.? This is a known problem when going from 120v to 240v.

4. Kleivonen macrumors member

But a bitch 'aint one?

Anyway, I don't see why you can't take it to an Apple store in Europe? Or send it to Apple Care.

5. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I actually only count seven problems. BTW, did you contact Apple about your issues before posting your rant? I'm just thinking that it would be best to give them a chance to resolve your problems before going off. Or at least post a title that was appropriate:rolleyes:

6. css136 thread starter macrumors member

Nope, haven't talked to Apple about this yet. I know they have great customer service (not trying to say anything about them) so I'm not anticipating any troubles on that end. I was just making sure that taking the computer to a Genius Bar is the best option. Since I'll only be there 3 days, I don't want to get there and then realize that I should have tried something else beforehand.

Also, I know they won't be able to fix it in 3 days so I was hoping they could figure out a way to ship it back to me in Europe (or at least ship it to my parents in the states).

Thanks for the comments, folks. I didn't know about the voltage thing (my adapter says 220 V is fine). Also, if you're questioning the title of my thread (uh-oh!) -it was the most appropriate title I could think of and I'm sticking to it. ;)

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, it will work fine–charging and all–but you get that vibrationy feeling when you're plugged in across the Pond. I don't know why, but I don't think that there is anything to do about it.

8. ftored macrumors regular

ftored

Any fix for this. I get it sometimes too:$

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Yah, static shock feeling is a common problem, its also common that the wifi sucks b/c of the aluminum case, and yes its gonna be hot. Good ol heat transfer for effective cooling.

10. Crash1234 macrumors regular

My first response exactly.

11. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

DOes your network name has accents in it? If yes then your Macbook is connecting itself to another Wifi spot. Mine did it.

12. css136 thread starter macrumors member

You would think they had an Apple Store in Paris, right? I heard there's plans to build one in the Carrousel du Louvre (or also the Champs Elysees) but as of now, there's nowhere to take my laptop in Paris! Crazy, huh?

I've heard there's an Apple Store in London though...

13. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Sorry, but this is wrong. The power adapter converts the input power from 110-240V to the required voltage for the laptop. No matter what your power voltage is, the voltage and current delivered to the laptop is the same, whether you are in the US, UK or anywhere else for that matter.

My first-gen MBP had that weird 'tingling' sensation if you lightly touched it when it was connected to the power adapter. I'm not sure what causes it, but it has nothing to do with your local power voltage and any conversion for that matter.

14. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

There's a raft of Apple Stores in the UK. London has three (Regent Street, Kingston, Brent Cross), and then there's others around the country (Birmingham, Solihull, Manchester, Exeter, Milton Keynes....etc etc.). Apple's website has the full list.

15. WinkWink726 macrumors regular

WinkWink726

HIT ME! :cool:

But seriously... about your computer...
    sorry to hear about the bad luck.
    Dude, i know what its like to be excited about a toy (an expensive one, at that) and have problems with it.
    Hopefully it can be replaced! :(

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, then why did mine only tingle when I was in Ireland? :confused:

17. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I got 99 problems but my Macbook ain't one!

No but seriously, bummer dude. Where in Europe do you live? I'm from the Netherlands and used to live there for a while. I go back to visit every summer and one thing I noticed in Amsterdam was how many Mac resellers there were, and they have one Apple store. They're opening another one that's going to be 3 floors and 11,000 square feet.

So what I'm saying is, if you live anywhere near a large European city of international significance, there's bound to be an Apple store nearby. Just drive for a bit, I guess.

I see you've got an American spec one, does that make any differences with the 110/220 V stuff? Did you do any switching before you moved?

18. BBCuk macrumors newbie

BBCuk

don't forget the new one in white city!

19. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Great logic ;) As I said, I don't know why exactly it tingles, but I do know that many other people (including a good few from the USA) have mentioned this issue, and given that the power adapter delivers the same power to the laptops regardless of input voltage, it has to be something else.

Besides, the power adapter doesn't covert 110V to 240V anyway, it looks at the input voltage, determines whether it is 110V or 240V and converts that down to the required output voltage for the MacBook.

20. cerealj macrumors member

I read about the case shocking in another thread a few days ago. Apple UK has acknowledged that this is "normal". It doesn't seem normal to me that a laptop should be electrocuting its user, but it's probably completely harmless.

21. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I'll eat my words, London has four ;)

22. Testify macrumors member

Well, my girlfriend bought her MBP in june of 08 and I can't tell you how many hours we spend looking and trying EVERYTHING to fix the drop in our wireless signal.

But since last week, its now working great. We found this method on this forum somewhere.

1. Turn your router off
    2. Open Network inside System Preferences
    3. Click on Airport, then 'Advanced' and delete all the Preferred Networks
    using the "-" button.
    4. Turn Airport Off in Menu Bar.
    5. Open Keychain (Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access)
    6. Find and delete all remembered passwords for your wireless network.
    7. Trash com.apple.airport.preferences.plist & com.apple.network.identification.plist in Macintosh
    HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
    8. Restart Mac
    9. Switch router on.

In addition of doing all that, we deplugged our router, pressed reset and move it on the top of the shelf where previously it was on the lower end of it.

Since one day, everywhere in our appartement, we get GREAT reception and no drop in our connection.

Hope it helps!