I got a 3G question about the iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by corysti, Jun 19, 2008.

1. corysti macrumors newbie

Alright, I really want the Iphone 3g and I have the first gen iphone but I'm torn betweent the two. I live in an area where 3g isn't available so I really don't want the new iphone for the speeds. I was wondering if att will allow you to choose which data speed's you want? It's pointless to pay for 3g if it's not available in your area. I know nothing has come out from att so you really can't say yes or no on the subject I kinda wanted more of an opinion to it or if it is even possible.

2. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

The problem is, you aren't paying for 3G speeds. With the iPhone 3G, you are just paying the standard rate AT&T charges *all* smart phones, 3G or not.

3. corysti thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, But from what i hear they are raising the price of the plan due to the data plan? If that is true they are charging 10 buck's more for just 3g. For the current Iphone user's their plan won't change if they keep their 1st gen Iphone. I mean 10 buck's extra isn't going to kill be but I will keep my old Iphone if I got to pay 10 bucks more and not get any texting.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Tough call, b/c I'm not certain that AT&T would be willing to charge you a different rate than everyone else. There doesn't seem to be any exemptions or exceptions to their procedures for 3G data plans, and it's not like you can shutoff 3G coverage. It's a dilemma that requires AT&T to respond, give them a call. Good luck. :(

5. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

No.

They are not raising the price of the plan. They $20 plan will still be available.

3G iPhones are using a different plan, one that existed before there were ever any iPhones. One all AT&T Smartphones use for a dataplan.

No plan rates have been raised.

The two iPhones are on different plans.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I concur, the data plan is the same plan that the BBP has been using on my family plan. I always wondered why that BBP's data plan always cost more than our other (3) iPhones. Thanks "marksman" :cool:

7. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

You heard wrong! Its just a price increase.. has nothing to do with speed.

8. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

Technically could it be a GPS use cost?

9. corysti thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay that's fine but that is what I read on a few macrumors threads.

Also, I understand that the people who keep their old iphone won't have to pay high prices but I intend to purchase the new Iphone but after seeing my area is not covered in 3g I don't think it's right to charge people a hire data plan price because I don't get to use the 3g. Which Im not really sure what is included in that data I just thought data meant internet and nothing else.

Btw I doubt that the price is for gps. It may use the internet but i'm not sure how the gps in phones work's. Anyhow I will call AT&T tomorrow about it. I did talk to one the other day and he said that the prices could change and they might not he hasn't got the final call.

10. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

You're still not getting it - the data plan is NOT higher because of 3G. At all. Not one penny higher. It's higher because AT&T is not giving iPhone owners their $10 data discount anymore. They stopped giving a discount on data because they are now giving a discount on the phone itself. Even people with smart phones that only handle EDGE have to pay $30 for a data plan without texts on AT&T.

11. kdog1176 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

[/QUOTE]

Also, I understand that the people who keep their old iphone won't have to pay high prices[/QUOTE]

Current iPhone owners (like myself) continue to pay $20 for data because that is the price we signed up for on our 2 year contracts. You can bet this $20 data plan will no longer be available for us when we want to renew at the end of our 2 year agreements.