I got a Malware warning - how can I do a safe & definitive check?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by deonomo, Jul 26, 2010.

1. deonomo macrumors newbie

So I was reconfiguring my internet settings and checked in with OpenDNS. They informed me that they had detected "malware/botware activity" on my account and directed me to their malware FAQ.

Basically, the FAQ tells me to get rid of the malware, but doesn't tell me how. In fact, it states:

"We would suggest using a spyware removal program to address the malicious content infecting your computer. Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to offer support for its removal, though there are plenty of tools online and Microsoft offers a Malicious Software Removal Tool which is free to download. Our friends at Kaspersky Labs also offer some helpful tools for removing malware infections."

But both the Microsoft site and the Kaspersky Labs site only offer solutions for Windows.

Is there any way I can get a definitive check of my system for malware? I am not sure that my computer is the culprit (my roommate has a windows laptop), but it could well be, since I have downloaded a bunch of experimental productivity apps and often find myself careening around in odd corners of the Internet.

Most malware scanning programs appear to be even worse malware themselves. So what do I do?

Thanks.

P.S. I looked into MacScan but there are some atrocious reviews on Amazon.

2. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

I don't believe there are any viruses or malware for Mac OS X. But, if you want to check anyway, ClamXav is popular and free (I can't say much about it myself; I've never needed to use it :D).

3. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

You're fine. They were probably noticing that you went to a phishing website or someone connected to your network who was on a PC and had a virus.

4. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

All OpenDNS can do here is detect supposed evidence of an infection from your IP. It could be a bunch of DNS lookups in a short amount of time, or DNS lookups for known phishing sites or even DNS lookups that resolve to known "bad" IP addresses.

If you're running through a proxy server (say, at work) then it could be someone else going through the proxy server that has the issue, or like mjstew says, it could be someone else on your LAN with the issue. And there may not even be an issue at all.

Highly doubtful you have an issue on the Mac. I'd not give it a second thought, honestly.