i got a new mac but i want tiger not leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by StateCCM, Mar 18, 2008.

1. StateCCM macrumors member

i switched to a mac 2 weeks ago and with all honesty it crashes 2x more than my vista PC. can i downgrade my OS back to tiger by any chance?

i picked up parallels 3.0 and when i ran it i got an unexpected error. i cant run it at all.

im using an macbookpro

2. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Take it back and get a new one. You got a hardware problem.

3. JPT macrumors regular

Before taking it to AppleCare try reinstalling Leopard. There might be a problem with the actual install. if that don't work, take it to your nearest Apple Store or call AppleCare.

4. joeybagadonutz macrumors member

Absolutely make an appointment (if you live near a store) or call. In Windows world, it makes perfect sense to want to back-step to an older OS because of problems. Your are in Apple land now my friend. If something does not work, reach out to Apple and they will make it right. As a former "bang my head against the wall" Windows user, be careful. Actually getting help and service may freak you out!

5. StateCCM thread starter macrumors member

its cool now, i returned it before the 12 or 16 day policy (not sure how long it was) but i think ill stick with my PC for now. i really need to run Windows

6. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Just for completeness, can I point out that some newer computers can't run older versions of software, for instance my Santa Rosa MacBook can't run anything earlier than Leopard 10.5.1 because there are machine specific drivers contained within the software which means that even a full retail version of Tiger won't work.

Explained a bit better here, here and here.

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

dude get a Mac and then you can run windows and OS X... best of both worlds! plus you dont have to worry about malware in OS X. "i think ill stick with my PC now"… Macs are "PCs"!

8. StateCCM thread starter macrumors member

i kept getting unexpected errors with parallels 3.0

plus i didnt like the whole idea that u cant run DX 10 on a mac.

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Doesn't matter if it's a bad install, that shouldn't happen. Return it ASAP for a new one. Usually if you say you want a new one that works, they'll be nicer then if you're just trying to return it.

DX 10 is a windows thing, you'll never be able to run DX10 on a mac. ever. never ever ever. (unless you boot into Windows)

10. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I would've done a clean install the minute i got it home, but then again that's a ritual I do whenever I get a new computer, or help someone set theirs up.
    You would be surprised how much it can solve.
    Anyway, we will welcome you back when you are ready, it sounds like you got one with the occasional bad ram or motherboard.
    Just exchanging it would've solved your problem most likely.

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well, sorry things didn't work out for ya. You did the right thing, just use your Windows machine. :)

12. ChrisA macrumors G4

Ha, Ha, you've been trained by your PC experiance to blame crashes on the OS. Likely you have a problem with RAM or some other hardware issue.

I bet if you installed Vista or Linux on the machine it would crash too

13. NIPRING macrumors 6502

I dont tell people about craigslist either. Thats more people i have to climb over to get to the good stuff. Stay on PC...please.

14. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

bootcamp???!?!?!?!?

with bootcamp you can have your windows, and your pretty MBP

15. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

bootcamp???!?!?!?!?

with bootcamp you can have your windows, and your pretty MBP

16. StateCCM thread starter macrumors member

well ive custom built my PC, im using an expensive motherboard, so its very stable and it never crashes.

plus just this morning ive found a way to dual boot OS X leopard and Vista on my PC. this rig is amazing :)

17. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

My iMac is very stable too.

I've been booting Leopard and Vista since the day I bought it. Oh, and it has no problems with DirectX 10 in Boot Camp either.

Best of luck with your PC though. ;)

18. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Did you update parallels? They've released updates that are "Leopard Supported"

19. remmy macrumors 6502a

Out of interest what setup are you running and did you have many problems getting OS X to run well? Are there any limitations?

20. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

No, no, no, no. You take your Mac back to the store, they give you a shiny new (working) one, and you're happy. What's the matter with you?

21. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

To Hackintosh he goes.......