I got a new MacBook for Christmas and...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iLoveMyApple, Dec 25, 2009.

1. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

I have an iTunes playlist on the old iMac. I was going to use Migration Assistant, but I'm afraid it might remove the files from the old computer because that's also the family computer and my sister's iPod is synced to that computer. I only want to move over the one playlist. Can I do that and will it completely remove those files off the old computer? :confused: Also, how do I sync my iPhone with my new MacBook, it's synced to the old iMac.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Migration Assistant does not delete any information. If you're looking to just move over a particular playlist you should be using the Home Sharing feature. If your older computer is capable of, or has been running, iTunes 9, make sure that you enable Home Sharing under the same iTunes account, and then wait for the older computer to become visible on the new computer's iTunes source list. Then drag over the files via the iTunes interface. Make sure you authorize the new computer so you can actually play back and sync the transferred files. Syncing the iPhone with the new Mac is relatively simple and non-invasive, as long as you're ok with erasing and re-syncing your iTunes music/videos/apps via the iTunes application on the MacBook. With the iPhone connected to the new computer, just enable Music syncing, and the syncing of contacts/calendars via the Info tab, and the syncing of applications via the Applications tab.