i got a question with itouch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by golf pro, Mar 13, 2008.

1. golf pro macrumors member

i am getting a itouch mabey today or tommorow, and i was looking at jailbreaking and it looks really cool but every one says that it uses like the whole ipod memory is there anyway to just get the apps u want and not all so u dont use all the memory

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

First of all, iPod Touch, not itouch. Yes, you choose which apps you install. It doesn't take up all the space, I don't know where you improperly heard this.

3. golf pro thread starter macrumors member

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

It varies, usually under 1MB.

5. donaldj macrumors 6502

donaldj

Thanks for correcting the iTouch business...

Anywho, golf pro may have been talking about RAM, instead of Hard Drive memory. Yes, it does take up a considerable amount of ram, but on a device that can only run 1 app at a time, it doesn't matter much.

Update: Oh... bit late on that one... =P

6. golf pro thread starter macrumors member

well i did this post in the wrong fourm fist and some one said it only left them with 100mb left on there ipod, and also on youtube i was watchinga a video on how to do it and one of the replies was "but it left me with like 10mb whats up with that" and i still want to be able to put music on it

7. donaldj macrumors 6502

donaldj

Sometimes, if the jailbreak screws up, it takes up a lot of space, but you can just restore, and do it again.

8. golf pro thread starter macrumors member

ok and im going to be getting a 1.1.4 will it work on that? and if i mess up can i plug into itunes and rest to fatory and try again?

9. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

There is a known problem of low space that can be corrected by making a symbolic link. The instructions are in the guides. Basically, you change where the ipod stores Apps, so it does not think it's empty. Yes, you can restore if things get messed up. You will most likely have to downgrade before JB'ing. There are very thorough instructions on the guides posted.

10. donaldj macrumors 6502

donaldj

Definatly... I'd reccomend ZiPhone (ziphone.org), i've used it, works easily, and quickly.
    I reccomended it to 2 friends of mine, and they've had no problems...

And no need to downgrade with ZiPhone... however, a few apps arent compatible (yet).

11. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Doesn't Ziphone only currently work on 8GB Touch's for sure?

12. donaldj macrumors 6502

donaldj

Oh yeah... forgot about that... There are reports of it working with 16, but thats iffy. You could try it if you get a 16, or 32, but there are no guarantees .

13. golf pro thread starter macrumors member

ok so let me get all of this straight, one u jb a installer comes up, u install it, and in that there are many different apps u can dl, and u dl it to ziphone? im not that good with computers so dont got NO!!! you idot plz be nice about im pretty sure im wrong

14. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

Why? this is getting stupid now this different calling of the iPod Touch

You lot are so petty about this iPod Touch thing, let it go, he can call it what he wants

It doesn't use to much space, as said this only happens if the jailbreak goes wrong, but you can restore and start again

15. donaldj macrumors 6502

donaldj

Ok... ZiPhone just installes an 'installer' application on your iPod. From this application, you can install many different applications.

1. Install ZiPhone on PC
    2. Click Jailbreak (Inside of ZiPhone)
    3. Wait (Don't touch iPod... Oh, the iRony =P)
    4. You are now jailbroken. There is now an 'Installer' Application on your iPod.
    5. Open Installer, and you can now download and install all the games/tools/apps you want.

16. golf pro thread starter macrumors member

thx donaldj finnaly some one put in to words i can under stand :):):) i think im going to give that a try, no a fence to every one else that tryed :0