I got a red screen of death on macbook...what does it mean?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by WillMak, Jun 11, 2008.

1. WillMak macrumors 6502a

MY macbook won't start up properly and When i tried to start up it gave me a folder with a question mark on it. I tried again...and then it gave me a RED SCREEN! It chilled me to the bone! What does it mean!?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Your hard drive has likely come unseated, your system software went bad, or you hard drive died. Try starting up with your system software disc.

3. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

My DCD Drive is broken unfortunately. I have an external dvd drive. but holding down C doesn't do anything when i start up...:(

4. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i think only firwire drives work unffortinitly in ur case but i heard from somone on intels usb works?

5. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm...Is there a different command to boot from external DVD drive? The closest thing i found was command+shift+option+delete but that seems to imply internal or external Harddrives.

6. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

mm if u just hit option id sees the dvd and harddrive as like icons or w.e u want to call them

7. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

huh?

8. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

English is not his first language. Either is using spell check, commas, periods, capital letters, etc......

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

10. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

If it's within warranty, and there is a close by Apple Store, I'd definitely take it there for repairs.

11. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Hmm...Is there a different command to boot from external DVD drive? The closest thing i found was command+shift+option+delete but that seems to imply internal or external Harddrives.[/QUOTE]

mm if u just hit option id sees the dvd and harddrive as like icons or w.e u want to call them[/QUOTE]

Translation: if you hold down the option button at startup instead of c, you might get a boot option menu.

From my experience, the cmd-shift-opt-del will bypass the internal drive, I got my USB external booted from that way.