i got a replacement macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ankushpatel, Jul 9, 2009.

1. ankushpatel macrumors regular

i just got a replacement macbook pro because there was something wrong with my old one
    when i hit the power button on this one, the fans get loud then slow down is that normal? my other one did not do this.

2. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

I'm just guessing, but on most laptops the fans are quite loud on startup.

3. ankushpatel thread starter macrumors regular

new one

on the new one i feel the fans more, they run at same speeds b.c i checked but i can feel them if i touch the body of the laptop, on the same exact one, the one thats going back i dont feel it. and the start up on that one, the fans dont make noise, its quiet.

anyone else who has a macbook pro unibody, have fans that make loud noise when start up but slow down as the grey screen comes on?

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I don't think it is a problem if it is only occurring at startup. If the fans are always excessively loud, then you have a problem.

5. ankushpatel thread starter macrumors regular

macbook pro fan

yeah its just funny that i have two of the exact computers side by side and one does it and one doesnt.

6. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

You know what's funny? My HP computer does that. They go rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmm! right after I press the power button and then quiet down. I'll see what happens when my MBP gets here. So far, my HP is the only one that does that. My 7 year old Dell doesn't, and neither does my barbone-built one. Interesting to hear that my HP is not a unique case.:)

7. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

8. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

How is it perfoming? lag?

9. ankushpatel thread starter macrumors regular

called apple

called apple, looks like this one is going back too.

they said they want to "capture" this one for their engineers so they are sending me another (2nd) replacement!

im getting mad, this will be my 3rd try with the same computer, hopefully this one will be perfect now.

10. cababah macrumors 68000

Ah the quest for the perfect computer..join the club as there is no "perfect computer"

11. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Haha exactly. If its not affecting performance at all, who cares. Well, I guess the OP cares. We have a bunch of servers at work, and when you first turn them on the fans kick in at full speed and can be heard down the hall through a closed door. Its like a SELF test ensuring the fans still can spin up properly. The system sees that the fan can still hit 6,000 RPM, makes note that the system is functioning properly in that respect, then they spin down. I rather like that test, because if my system started getting super hot and tried to kick up to 6,000 RPM and couldn't for some mechanical failure reason, I would be in trouble.

12. ankushpatel thread starter macrumors regular

trust me there are

I have owned close to 7 macs including this one. and all of them have been perfect to my expectations, and with this new macbook pro i expect perfect too. especially when you pay and arm and leg for one, u expect a decent machine, that doesn't vibrate while you type.

13. cababah macrumors 68000

There is a fine line between noticing something wrong and being so obsessed with the computer that you go looking for something wrong.

Constantly worrying about the computer and whether it is a perfect little gem prevents you from using it and enjoying it which should be the reason you bought it in the first place.

14. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Yah, i had people with HPs that would sit behind me in my social psych class. About 5 min. into lecture i hear rrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!(you get the picture) I wanted to turn around and tell that dude to put the jet away so i can hear the lecture lol.

15. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

+1 :D.

That's why I'm getting a Mac (coming in 2 wks!). No more roaring HP :). You don't want to know how many times it has crashed for no apparent reason, except for one time when it had a virus (~9 times in 4 years. Each time, disk recovery. Each time pain in the _. Time wasted: ~48-72 hrs. Oops, did you want to know?)

Back to the OP's question: I have not had any negative experience due to roaring fans, just roaring computers. As for your third computer, good luck!:apple: I am sure that it is not going to be a roaring one. (I hope I didn't jinx you...) But honestly, best of luck.:cool:

16. ankushpatel thread starter macrumors regular

macbook pro fan

I agree there is a fine line about something actually being wrong and you just looking for something wrong with it.
    But if i have two of the same exact computers next to each other, and one of them is making a loud fan noise and the other is not then thats not just me looking for something to cry to apple about. You think i enjoy talking on the phone to apple care for 1 hour and 40 min each day, and driving up to the fed ex store. No i dont, but at the same time I work hard for my money, and when I buy a product I dont care what anyone thinks, I want it to work how it is supposed to. Yes if it has a small little tiny scratch then yeah im not going to do anything about it, but if its not running how it should, and how the product is showcased im not going to settle for it. and if this third one i get is not how i like it, i want a refund.

17. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Some fan controllers (I've rewritten this sentence TEN times ugh), will go to max power for a few seconds because if you only apply a small amount of energy, the fan won't spin up, it'll just sit there. If you apply that energy to get it to full blast and then slow it down, it'll keep spinning.