I got a seagate portable hd, now what?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SchneiderMan, Oct 28, 2008.

1. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

why is it only read only on my mac? i cant really use it with a pc and my mac? how can i make this work then? thanks!

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Could be thats its formated NTFS, if so you try downloading MacFuse & NTFS-3G as that'll give write access to it, or format it FAT32 but your limited to 4GB file transfers. Or you could format HFS and download HFSexplorer for windows or even format HFS+ and get MacDrive 7 installed

3. timestoby macrumors 6502

id like to write to my external ntfs drives,which would you suggest.which one is best? and will i beable to delete from these drives aswell. i forgot about the whole mac being hfs,thats why i couldnt delete stuff from the external drives haha

4. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

would it be the same with my ipods and iphone? thanks

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If you want to leave it NTFS & have both R/W access to it then you have no choice but to use MacFuse & NTFS-3G ( this is a prog & driver that needs to be used together, it will become clear once you look for MacFuse ). MacFuse & NTFS-3G is free but their is a paid prog that does the same thing called paragon

Sorry not sure about this one, hopefully someone else might ??

6. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

thanks mate the ntfs 3g thing did work for me, now it has "custom access" but can it be that now my transfer times are slower? i transfered a movie file before i had ntfs 3g and it was quick but now with ntfs 3g it alot slower

7. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

it was really slow with that app, so i formated my seagate to Exfat will that work with osx?

8. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

open Disk Utility found in Applications>Utilities. Or search in Spotlight. select the drive from the left menu pane... then in the right-hand side click ERASE. then choose to format the drive for Mac OS Extended Journaled. Now your mac can read and write to the drive. if you do this all the files will be erased from the drive, so back up elsewhere first. your drive is probably formatted for NTFS or FAT32 which are mainly windows formats.