Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Hi, i am so happy!

I got my hands on a WGS 60!
It has a dos card in it so i can run both Windoz and mac os.
Now i have a question:

I want to turn it into a server.(for filesharing, printer sharing, etc.)

how can i do this?

also i though it would be cool if i could make it valitdate peoples passwords before it lets them on the network.

is this possible?

And lastly, it there a free version of appleshare IP avalible for download anywhere?

BTW the machine has 72mb ram and a 1.2gb hard drive, and os 9

Thansk!

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
macEfan said:
And lastly, it there a free version of appleshare IP avalible for download anywhere?
Well, each version of AppleShare has OS requirements... and they are usually pretty strict (meaning that older versions of AppleShare tend not to work with newer versions of the Mac OS). Also, the versions of the Mac OS that you run with AppleShare IP are different from the standard versions... and require special updates compared to the standard versions.

Here is a list of the AppleShare versions and there related operating systems. As I recall, Apple started shipping special versions of the Mac OS with AppleShare starting with AppleShare IP 5.0.
AppleShare 3.0.x uses System 7.0 to 7.1 (7.1 recommended)
AppleShare 4.0.x uses System 7.0.1 to 7.5.3
AppleShare 4.1 uses System 7.5.1
AppleShare 4.2 uses System 7.5.1
AppleShare 4.2.1 uses System 7.5.3 to 7.6
AppleShare IP 5.0 uses System 7.6.x
AppleShare IP 5.0.2 uses System 7.6.x to 8.0
AppleShare IP 5.0.3 uses Mac OS 8.0 to 8.1
AppleShare IP 6.0 uses Mac OS 8.1
AppleShare IP 6.1 uses Mac OS 8.1 to 8.5 (8.5 recommended)
AppleShare IP 6.2 uses Mac OS 8.6
AppleShare IP 6.3 uses Mac OS 9.0
AppleShare IP 6.3.1 uses Mac OS 9.0.4
AppleShare IP 6.3.3 uses Mac OS 9.1​
There is no free version of AppleShare as all versions use licensed software and would also be considered competing products with Mac OS X Server.

Further, AppleShare IP requires a license string to install it.

I got my hands on a WGS 60!

- and -

BTW the machine has 72mb ram and a 1.2gb hard drive, and os 9
The Workgroup Server 60 is a 68040 system... are you sure that you have Mac OS 9 on it? The highest system that can be run on a 68040 is Mac OS 8.1. If you have Mac OS 9 on it, then it may be a Workgroup Server 6150.
I want to turn it into a server.(for filesharing, printer sharing, etc.)
Actually you can do a lot of that type of stuff with Mac OS 8/9. I set up one client with Mac OS 8.6 and had the system sharing a printer, had a set of users and set up share points on the server volume. There was only three people, so AppleShare seemed a little over kill for their needs.

also i though it would be cool if i could make it valitdate peoples passwords before it lets them on the network.

is this possible?
I administered servers running AppleShare IP 5.0, 6.1 and 6.3.x (and have 3.0 though I've never installed it on a system). On those systems I believe you can set it up that way (at least I know you can in 6.x).

If you're using a WGS 60, then the newest version of AppleShare that you can use would be 4.0.x. AppleShare 4.1 and later require PowerPC systems.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
My Quadra 840av is currently running plain old OS 8.1 (68040 processor) and serves my network as a print server (SUPER old Apple inkjet printer), shares some classic applications, and holds copies of my DRM protected music purchased from ITMS. t currently has no issues serving both my G4 systems, my G3 iBook, nor my G5 with all of those functions. OS 8.1 has some quite powerful share features right out of the box, including simple web sharing.

I am able to communicate with this system VIA Appletalk networking, or TCP/IP without any real issues besides speed. The Quadra came with 10mb ethernet which was quite good for the time (think thinnet, ticknet Coaxial of the days), however when doing a copy of video or audio files, it can get quite slow!

As RacerX stated, don't worry about the workgroup server software, unless you really want it for true authentic reasons.

image.php

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
your right, it is a powerpc WGS 6150. I made a mistake. About the print server, how can i set it up? not quite sure. BTW the printer is an apple personal laserwriter 300.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.