I got an 8GB iPhone, FULLY UNLOCKED IN UK!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wasimyaqoob, Sep 15, 2007.

1. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

Woow! - Where do I begin, lol.

Basically, I travelled 90 miles yesterday which took about 2.5 hours all the way to get an iPhone, then had to travel another 50 miles which took another 1.5 hours, just to get a UK UNLOCKED iPhone.

I GOT IT :D :D :D

It's amazing, however, one problem I do have - The built-in earspeaker is VERY quiet even on the highest setting.

I'm on the Orange Network UK and it works 100%, and I've also used 02 Network UK and that works fine, just to confirm to people.

Check out my Flickr Photos!

www.wasim-yaqoob.co.uk
    www.flickr.com/photos/wasim931

All the photos are on there :)

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

3. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

4. MiLK© macrumors member

Why not wait three days to see if something better is round the corner? eg. 16gb perhaps?

5. Alistair1990 macrumors member

Alistair1990

Maybe he doesn't want to be hooked to a contract? Thats what I'm doing - importing an iPhone and unlocking to my PAYG Orange sim.

6. MiLK© macrumors member

Even still, buying a UK iPhone and unlocking it to PAYG would almost definitely work out cheaper. Plus you just never know what Apple are going to announce on Tuesday (eg. maybe 16gb). Worth a 72 hour wait IMO, given that we've been waiting since January. Don't get me wrong, I was on the verge of importing one as well, but with the recent news I think its really worth the wait.

Also save 140miles of petrol and 4hrs driving... :confused:

7. Alistair1990 macrumors member

Alistair1990

Yeh, I see what you mean but $399 works out at £200 and I won't be paying shipping because I have someone bringing one back for me - surely it will cost more than £200 for the UK iPhone plus canceling the contract?

8. MiLK© macrumors member

Ah gotcha, I was assuming you were buying one from eBay at an inflated price, my bad! fair play, sounds like you got yourself a bargain! I wish I still knew people in america...:p

9. Alistair1990 macrumors member

Alistair1990

No problem! It's a friend of a friend who's getting it for me, not for another 2-3 weeks though. Can't wait! :D

10. wasimyaqoob thread starter macrumors 6502a

Regarding the new 16GB iPhone, I'm just gonna buy an iPod Touch so that doesn't matter.

I don't really want to take out a contract with 02 because I got a VERY good deal with Orange, so thats another main reason.

I don't think I made a bad decision - lol.

"EvanLugh
    macrumors regular

Congratulations, you just made a fool of yourself.
    Apple iPhone UK Special Event: Tuesday 18th
    And you lost 1/2 features in the process, paying for your journey etc. "

All the features work except Visual Voicemail which is locked to AT&T so thats fine :)

11. Stadsport macrumors regular

if its like the US iPhone, you just buy the phone in the store and activate it at home through iTunes (or unlock it ad activate it on some other network). Unleas you activate it on AT&T, there's no cancellation.

12. jss42 macrumors newbie

What are the web apps like on Orange? Do you get EDGE, or is it fairly slow?

13. wasimyaqoob thread starter macrumors 6502a

It does pick up EDGE (I think), because it pops up with a little E symbol sometimes, so i'm assuming that's EDGE. But I haven't used it!

I just use Wi-Fi.

14. The General macrumors 601

Obviously once the iPhone is released in the UK, Visual Voicemail will work with those carriers too ... :rolleyes:

15. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Orange (and I think O2 now) are the only networks to have EDGE coverage in the UK.