I got an idea !

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AWD iPhone, Sep 23, 2010.

1. AWD iPhone macrumors member

AWD iPhone

Okay has anyone else thought of buying the new nano and tethering it (somehow) to your iphone as an external notifier for SMS and stuff like that ??

I can't stop thinking about how sweet that would be !

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I would be interested as to how this would work in the real world!

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

I'm not getting why. I must be missing something.

4. ericlin0122 macrumors member

Not a surprise that Apple announces next year's new iPhone w
    w = watch

5. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

6. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

Sounds brilliant, but the nano only has an fm radio, no cellular or wifi. Maybe in the next gen. I hope so, because this would be amazing!

7. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

The new nano is almost perfectly watch-sized. It even has the option to set an analog-style clock as its lock screen.

Having something like this on my wrist with the ability to quickly scan an email, take a call, or switch a music track would be pretty sweet.

8. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

You should work for apple.. I bet nobody thought of such integration. :rolleyes:

9. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

You mean something like SoftBank Sharp phones + a Citizen i-VIRT M watch?

Citizen i-VIRT

I have one. Connects via Bluetooth and you can
    1. read text messages, MMSes, and emails
    2. answer/end calls (no mic though, so you still have to fish out the phone)
    3. set the phone to silent mode
    4. and control the camera remotely.

It also has a built in vibrator to alert you when you receive a call or message.

No headset port so you can't listen to music (unlike the nano). It is however waterproof.

The current models only work with Sharp phones from SoftBank but the older (non-M) models work with most Bluetooth phones and can show incoming calls and text messages.

(old model)
    [​IMG]

(current)
    [​IMG]

10. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Why would you want to carry anymore than you had to? It is a nice idea but it isn't practical. That is why pagers died out. It really serves no purpose except extra stuff to lug around.

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I have to agree. One of the main reasons I wanted to switch to the iPhone was because it allowed me to combine all my devices into one. Convergence is convenience, and I can't see any reason to give that up.

12. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Yeah but I can see how wearing it as a watch would eliminate the "extra stuff" feel.

However for me to wear that as a watch it would need to redesigned to actually look good.

13. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

...hence, a watch. I would wear a watch around every day and having the convenience of connecting it to my phone to display notifications is an added bonus.

I just tested my i-VIRT with my iPhone 4 and can confirm that it works to display incoming calls, but only that. No message display or remote camera shutter or any other special features. I think that the Softbank Sharps have special Bluetooth profile to 'beam' stuff like that over to the watch.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

A watch that you will need to charge every single day or more often depending how long you leave it on or displaying the time or other things on it.
    Ridiculous idea IMO.

15. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

this would be awesome, but as i see it unless apple comes out with it or someone somehow jailbreaks it we wont see it. but i love the idea it would be awesome for everyday life a good representation would be that citizen watch.

16. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Battery lasts for a week with Bluetooth constantly on and a month if Bluetooth is switched off [ie, using it as only a watch].

I've found it to last longer than a week with minor usage. Charging is inductive (just like an electric toothbrush). Put the watch on the little 'platform' it comes with and let just let it sit there.

Seriously, you charge your phone every day, so what's so hard about putting the watch on the inductive platform once every week?

What's your point man. Just because you don't find something useful doesn't mean it's ridiculous.

17. AppleLover9o macrumors regular

Why? You take your watch off every night.. Why not put it on an esthetically pleasing dock? :)

18. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Personally - if I'm wearing a watch, I never take it off more than a minute/moment. Even the shower is too long a time - otherwise I forget it and stop wearing it. So I would be wearing it to bed, as well.

19. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

20. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

What's so unbelievable about it? When I wore a watch I never took it off, either.

21. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

...it's a bit strange is all. Some people don't want to have a metal thing strapped around their wrist when they're trying to sleep. Seems like it would be uncomfortable.

Whatever floats your boat :)

22. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

i like to sleep in my glasses, my suit, and wearing my watch. this way, i'm ready to face the day as soon as i wake up (no wasted time putting on clothes and shoes)... :cool:

23. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Are you sure? Have you done some sort of study to determine the prevalence of watch-wearing in bed and found that it is indeed rare, or are you just basing this judgment on nothing but your own preference? The mere fact that you prefer not to wear your watch to bed does not make the practice "strange." I'm guessing that it's much more common than you seem to think.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here.
    When I used to for years I never took it off.
    Took showers with it on, went to sleep with it and everything.
    Very few people take their watches off every night