i got cheered out of CPW

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gamble, Jul 11, 2008.

  1. Gamble macrumors member

    Apr 3, 2008
    Cambridge this morning queued up at 7:40 left the shop at 10:00 i was 9th in line and got the 1st iPhone. What a disastrous morning. How was everyone else's experience?
  2. sibruk macrumors 6502a

    Sep 17, 2007
    Foojing awful! The staff at our local O2 store were lying to us about availability for two hours this morning "yes, we have plenty of 16GB units in stock, don't worry" before making an announcement that they had sold out of the 13 16GB models they had.

    Congratulations - surely you're one of only 40 people nationwide who have managed to get their hands on one?!
  3. moosa19 macrumors member

    Jul 9, 2008
    This was my experience
    Went to the trafford centre at 7.45, there are 2 o2 shops, 2 CPW and 1 Apple store. I walked passed the first o2 shop and there were around 40-50 people queuing, next o2 about 70 queuing,
    CPW 1st shop 3 people and the 2nd CPW 5 queuing, was 6th in line at the 2nd CPW shop.

    Was in there for about 10mins and walked away with a nice 16GB iphone.

    Went pass the queue on both o2 shops and told them CPW have lots in stock and no queuing.

    Cant understand why people were just queuing at o2!! :confused:
  4. alexboy45 macrumors regular

    Nov 7, 2007

    i queued at my local o2 store and they had 8 iphones intotal. i then went to CPW and was 3rd in line and had to wait 2.5 hours for the system to allow existing iphone upgrades
  5. Stardotboy macrumors regular

    Jan 30, 2008
    Manchester, UK
    Bah, on reading your thread title I had visions of you telling the staff they're a bunch of useless layabouts, maybe smashing a view display phones for good measure, and storming out to rapturous applause.
  6. Gamble thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 3, 2008
  7. badgerman macrumors 6502a

    Jun 9, 2008
    Got to CPW in stockport at 7.45, got my 16GB and left at 8.05, still yet to activate it tho as no itunes at work.

    Black is so nice to look at.
  8. philgilder macrumors 68000

    Sep 30, 2007
    got to my o2 (bedford) at 7am, 20th in line
    got my iphone 16gb (last in store!) at 10am, exactly when the upgrade servers came back online there
    so it was really good, apart from the 3 hour wait! definitely worth it... :D
  9. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    If you were 9th in line and still got the first iPhone, what the heck was everyone else waiting for.....iTunes gift cards? :p
  10. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a


    Apr 2, 2008
    Crazy that you...the ninth in line and got the first one...

    makes you wonder if those others just didn't pass the credit check. :eek:

    Congrats. :p
  11. Gamble thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 3, 2008
    Well i know most of them went there for an upgrade. Only 2 16GB they had in store. (was fine i only wanted 8). And yea mine was the first to pass a credit check ;s I still had to wait about an hour for mine to pass. People who were there before me were waiting 2+ hours.
  12. jimN macrumors 6502a


    Jun 23, 2005
    My morning ended in disappointment. Decided to go to Kingston so that my mate could go to an Apple Store (he had vouchers). Got in the O2 store queue just before 7 and at twenty to eight they came down the line asking what everyone wanted. Was told that they had 11 16Gb and that, given that 16 people ahead of me wanted one then I was "likely" to be unlucky. I replied that given the numbers I was certain to be unlucky and left. Caught up with my mate who was still queuing and then moved on to the Carphone Warehouse that wasn't opening until 9. Was first in the queue and at half a eight a member of staff turned up and told us that they had 15 in total, about 5 16Gb phones. Got let into store and was then asked, "would you like it delivered on Saturday or Monday." Apparently the phones that they had were all reserved!! However, they sold one to the guy who was second - evidently the guy at that till had held one over ready so that he could make a sale!! I don't want to spend time waiting in for a delivery so I left it.

    Met up with my mate in the Apple store where there was what could be described as a Blitz spirit (some exaggeration) as people tried to cope with the fact that O2's system had failed under the load and no orders could be placed. Eventually he got a phone 2.5 hours after entering and about the 10th phone successfully sold by the store. It was actually quite fun being in the store during the launch and the place felt upbeat and cheery inspite of the slow down. I don't blame O2, and I'm not too bothered that I queued for an age to get nothing but CarphoneWarehouse are undoubtedly a bunch of useless Git Wizards and I'm very happy that they won't be making a sale on this occasion.
  13. byron_hinson macrumors 6502

    Jun 3, 2003
    Was in the Cambridge CPW store just after 8 as well - thankfully as an upgrade i was just allowed to sign the contract and take the phone away in the end instead of waiting thank god.
  14. Gamble thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 3, 2008
    Bryon, which one did ya go to mate? I was at the Grafton Centre CPW. So i presume it wasn't there as no one could upgrade before me in the Grafton
  15. byron_hinson macrumors 6502

    Jun 3, 2003
    Forgot about the Grafton one - I was in the lion yard - so funny seeing the 70 or so queued outside O2 next door and walking past them all to get it right away!
  16. OllyW Moderator


    Staff Member

    Oct 11, 2005
    The Black Country, England
    Only two hours in the store, you're a lightweight. :p

    Eight and a half hours in the Bullring Apple store for me and I still haven't got my SIM card activated by O2. :mad:
  17. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

    Nov 9, 2007
    went to cpw in warrington at the ratil park at 8:50, was 8th in line, doors opened and we were told they had 0 in stock.

    went to the cpw in the town centre and was about 8th, got mine reserved but the system was taking ages so left at about 10:50 and they called me back at about 12 to go collect.

    got home and diddnt try to activate till about 4, got it partially activated at about 8, then fully activated (so i could sync) at 10.

    all working fine and dandy now then ;)

Share This Page