I got hit with redirect malware when I downloaded iPhone app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 63dot, Jun 4, 2015.

1. 63dot, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I have an old Mac running Snow Leopard (Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, 2.53 Ghz) and I don't have Image Capture on it so I downloaded Image Capture from a trusted third party site called Softonic. I downloaded Image Capture to my Mac mini so I could put in photos and videos from my first, new iPhone I got last week and share with my Mac mini.

When that happened Safari and Firefox got infected with a redirect malware virus (or virus like code) and I can't perform seaches from search bar.

I fixed Firefox by re-syncing it up to original settings (from Firefox Mozilla site) and that's OK but have been unable to re-install an old version of Safari.

Have any of you downloaded an iPhone related app (or any app for that matter) and run into trouble on your Mac or PC?

2. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

3. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I wonder if this is Softonic itself or if it has anything to do with major Apple vulnerability found recently:

http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news...les-attackers-to-create-a-permanent-back-door

I don't so much mind malware and viruses on Macs because I am a PC tech and the world of Microsoft Windows has so many more issues with malware/viruses that it's essentially correct to say Macs have no problems.

Still that being said, this redirect malware, which also changes home page, is the first to hit my Mac, ever. Things were OK with Mac until the second I downloaded Image Capture from non-Apple site.

The desktop kind of blinked funny for a second and then later I noticed redirect malware on Safari and Firefox.

Opera was untouched.